Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Where Can I Buy Energine Cleaner?

I am having trouble finding Energine cleaner. Do you know what stores carry it? Thank you!

Lenore

By Phillip H. B.09/24/2012

Energine was simple, pure, 100% low-flash Naptha. It's what dry cleaners used to make before they switched to percoethylene.

You can still buy Naptha at most home centers like Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardwar, but be sure to buy only low-flash Naptha. High-flash naphtha will melt most plastics, which is what polyester is.

The best way to get low-flash Naptha is to buy Ronsonol lighter fluid. It comes in yellow plastic bottle and has a little pop-up squirter that makes it perfect for applying to spots. It's NOT butane. It's the kind of lighter fluid used in Zippo lighters. It is 100% low-flash Naptha, exactly like Energine. Same stuff.

By Sharon Cross [12]06/23/2010

Energine is no longer manufactured.

By Grandma J [46]06/22/2010

Old fashioned hardware stores or farm and home stores in the cleaning isle.

By Southernsister06/21/2010

I'm new to this website. I'm glad I found it because I found some useful information. Anyway, on the home page I saw your question. A while back, I was also looking for Energine Cleaner to clean my upholstery because I am unable to clean it with water or steam. I had read that you could use Energine on silk, corduroy, and some other fabrics. I called a cleaners and they didn't know. I looked at Lowe's, Home Depot and even grocery stores with no luck. Then, I called a local hardware store here in town and spoke with the manager. When I asked about Energine and what I wanted it for and that I couldn't find it anywhere he mentioned another name that does the same thing.

It is called "AFTA". It is an adhesive remover cleaning solvent. Cleans carpets and fabrics. It says that it cleans "S" coded fabrics. I looked at the tag on my couch and it was "S" coded. I didn't know that fabrics had different codes. The can says that it's also a Cleaner/Degreaser. It says professional strength formula. It's made by the same people that make "GOOF OFF" because that's on the can also. I don't know what you need it for, but I bought this can at my local hardware store here in Baton Rouge at Goodwood Hardware. I haven't used it yet, but plan on cleaning my upholstery this summer or I would tell you how it worked for me. I couldn't believe I couldn't find Energine anywhere in town. I can remember my mother having and using that product from way back. Hope this helps! Good Luck! Southernsister