Cleaning Heat Stains on a Gas Range

I have a Maytag gas range that is only two years old. When I cooked on high, the burners and surrounding area all turned brown and I can't get it cleaned off. It is burned right in even though I washed it after every time I used it. Is there anyway to clean this? My stove looks terrible. This never happened with my old stove.

By Joy from Buffalo, NY

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have a problem with the drip pans on my electric stove. They turn copper colored on top and bottom. I just got new pans to replace the old ones and after using the one burner twice the drip pan is starting to turn on the bottom side. I have been real careful to not use any higher than a medium high temperature since then, also tooke the drip pan out and washed it before it got used again.

Have you tried using Easy Off Oven Cleaner? Just spray some of it on a dampened cloth and place it on the area awhile and see if it will help. If you have pilot lights on, then do it like that otherwise, spray some on the area.

You might try Barkeepers Friend or Zud. Both of these will clean stains on stainless steel. Both are abrasive and may scratch however. If your stainless is brushed be sure and work with the grain and rub as little as possible. If it is glossy I would try it in an inconspicuous place to check for scratching. I am a retired cleaning lady and have had great luck with this product. Good luck.

I also have amaytag gas stove that is two years old and I use Soft Scrub to clean the stove. Does a great job.

good luck Marie

Contact Maytag as you should have a longer warranty. If it's over warranty contact the store you bought it at - or if the place is no longer around contact a local appliance store that is "friendly". I know the place I bought my stuff in is very good, any time I've had a problem they help me for free and my stuff is 7 years old. Stinky musty washer, here try this, for free, no service call! Good luck.

The best thing that I have found for cleaning the brown stains from around the burners on my gas stove is baking soda and a damp sponge. My stove is 12 years old, and still looks good. I have never used oven cleaner in my oven...only baking soda. And I put the oven racks in a garbage bag, pour in a half cup of ammonia and tie the bag shut. I put the bag in the bathtub overnight and then remove the racks in the morning and dispose of the bag. Wipe the racks off with a damp sponge, and use a green 3M pad if there are any stubborn spots. My oven looks like I hardly ever use it!

Harlean from Arkansas

I've discovered that Magic Erasers (I buy the generic equivalent) work wonderful on my white stove top. I've had stains on and off that sound very similar to yours, and these work better than anything else I have tried. Use them gently because they can begin to wear through the finish a bit if you are too aggressive. Usually a very light going over does wonders. They seem to work great on any white or light colored appliances. You should see what they do to the outside of my refrigerator, it looks like new!

Answer

Kitchen Oven
Cleaning Heat Stains on Kitchen Stoves
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesApril 5, 2011
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:37:02 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.