Red Dye on Cream Microfiber Couch

How can I remove red dye from my cream colored microfiber couch? My friend slept on my couch and her red shirt left a stain on my light cream colored couch. I tried soap and water, which didn't work. Next, I tried rubbing alcohol, which faded the red out a little but not much. Any suggestions? The cushions cannot be removed.

Roxanne from CT

Best Answer

I laid an open red Sharpie down on my beige microfiber chair, which left a red stain about the size of a grape. I have been working on it with huggies and it is slowly fading away. I use huggies for spot cleaning my carpets also.

I'm hoping that I am not passing along a suggestion that can't be used on microfiber--I'm not familiar with cleaning it.But I will pass this suggestion along and you decide whether you want to try it. Last week my Daughter found a red crayon in a load of clothes in the dryer. Thinking everything was ruined anyway,I called my sister who looked it up in a laundry chart.

It said to spray the colored spots with WD-40 and dab it with a paper towel to soak up the loosened color.I also rubbed it to loosen it.Then wash the WD-40 off with Dishwashing Liquid to absorb the Grease. We then washed the clothes - but as for a couch I'd suggest a warm water hand washing.To prevent a water stain, I'd just go ahead and give the whole couch a cleaning. This worked in my Daughter's case but as I said this was set-in crayon on clothes and not a Microfiber couch.

The only drawback I have about the WD-40 is that the smell tends to linger for a while. I don't think it's harmful-just an odd smell. If you're afraid of this you may just try hand washing using some Clorox 2 in warm water. MAYBE try this first before the other method as we soaked the clothes overnight in it before trying the WD 40 method. Good luck! Hope one of these methods works for you.

Roxanne,

Red dye is a hard thing. However, with that being said; find someone who makes homemade lye soap. That will bring it out. I make homemade lye soap that lathers and one time my husband came home with ground in grease on his white/white shirt from when he had to work on his truck. I had just bought the thing and it was only the 2nd time he'd worn it (he is a trucker).

I took some of my lye soap, placed his shirt across the sink, put some water on the spot, rubbed some of my soap in there and put more water on it and used a scrub brush on it, put some more water on it and done some more scrubbing, put the shirt under the faucet. It had some right out. you couldn't even tell there had been any grease on it. IF you can't find anyone who sells lye soap, send me a message and I'll send you a bar. Beverly in Arkansas.

A white couch with colorful pillows.
Pillow Dye Transferred onto Sofa
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 10, 2009
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
Brown microfiber couch.
Cleaning Microfiber Furniture
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 11:08:45 PM on 10.0.2.237 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.