Browsing: Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes

Homemade Lip Gloss

This is a fun project for little girls to make.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

• petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
  • honey
  • fruit coloring (cherry juice, orange juice, etc.)
  • small container
  • corn starch
  • freezer (optional)
  • bowl
jar of lipgloss

Instructions:

1. Take a spoon full of petroleum jelly and pour it in a bowl.
  2. Then take 1 teaspoon of honey, and mix it in the petroleum jelly.
  3. Sprinkle in some corn starch as you're mixing the mixture, (the more corn starch, the thicker the petroleum mixture will be)!
  4. When you have done all that, you can drop in some fruit coloring or any type of fruit juice, it's your choice.
  5. For the container, you can use an old lip gloss container or a jar.
  6. You can put it in the freezer, the lip gloss would get more moisturized.
  7. Insure all containers are sterile by boiling them to prevent contamination of your lip loss.
  8. If you wish to dye this balm you can use a cosmetic coloring available from homemade body product supply stores. You can also use a small amount of store bought lipstick to tint the balm.
  9. Alternatively you can also use colored beeswax or candle dye as it is being used in such a small quantity it will not stain or harm your skin.

By Esther from MD

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 20, 2010 Flag

I would like to know how to make lip gloss?

By Tamlyn from LaMarque, TX

Answers:

Homemade Lip Gloss

I like mixing Crisco solid with honey and putting it in a container that used to have Blistex in it, those round little pots. It is so good and it is good for you. Crisco solid is the best for dry skin too. Great for babies bottoms. Robyn (12/05/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Homemade Lip Gloss

I am not so sure it's safe to use Crisco mixed with anything unless you're going to use it up in a very, very, very short period of time. Crisco, even uncooked, goes rancid in a super short period of time after originally unsealing the container. Mixing it with other foods to use on your mouth, which most certainly will be ingested, is not a safe idea to me :-(

There are lots of safe, long term alternatives in the archived links below. (12/05/2009)

By Deeli

Homemade Lip Gloss

Go to www.recipezaar.com and type in lip gloss there are 8 recipes there. (12/08/2009)

By PICO

Homemade Lip Gloss

Try recipegoldmine.com. on creative juice they took just a little bit of leftover lipstick and mixed it with some petroleum jelly to make a tinted lip balm. (12/08/2009)

By micksgirl

Homemade Lip Gloss

Years ago, I asked my daughter what shade of lipstick she used and learned she hadn't used any for years--just Vaseline. So I tried it and within 2-4 weeks, my lips had very good color without lipstick, and no more cracking in winter. It's been more than 20 years and it's still working just great. I put it on at bedtime and once in the morning. I keep a tiny metal container in my purse. Really cheap! (12/08/2009)

By sarsi

Homemade Lip Gloss

My science class once took some crayons, mineral oil, a little wax from a new toilet ring, and some flavoring you'd find in the grocery and made lip gloss. (12/30/2009)

By GreyFowl

December 4, 2009 Flag

I like lip gloss from a certain store, but recently the prices there are huge, and the items are small. I thought it might be fun to try and make my own. Any recipes? I really appreciate it thanks.

By Cara from Farefield

Answers:

Homemade Lip Gloss

There are good lip glosses in drugstores that are reasonably priced so try some.

I used to make my own lip gloss/balm using either beeswax or paraffin. Melt a small amount in a glass jar set into a pot of simmering water. Add a piece of old lipstick to give color, also add a little oil. I used baby oil since it had a nice scent. Mix with a wooden chopstick or some such disposable item. To check the consistency, put a few drops onto a plate and see how it hardens. If it's too soft, add more wax. If it's too hard, add oil. Pour finished balm into small jars.

(07/16/2009)

By OliveOyl

Homemade Lip Gloss

Re-use your empty tubes or empty gloss/balm pots.
Recipe:

Makes 3 tubes.

• 2 tsp. beeswax (chop or grate it, then measure)
  • 2 1/4 tsp. jojoba or coconut oil
Melt wax and oil together double boiler style. Stir to combine. Pour into your containers. Let cool for about 20 minutes.

(If you want it glossier look just add a teeny tiny bit more jojoba or coconut oil.)

For fun, add three or four chocolate chips while melting for a yummy flavoring.
(07/21/2009)

By Deeli

Homemade Lip Gloss

Please. Check out the ingredients that are in lip glosses you are using. And paying a higher price does not guarantee better ingredients. Almost every commercial lip gloss contains alcohol. The kind that dries out your lips. Some also contain harmful preservatives. I make all natural lip gloss and other bath and body products and have spent thousands of hours in research and I am just trying to help people use the safest products possible.

You should not use Vaseline or any other petroleum oil or jelly. They are made from petroleum. The same thing gasoline is made from. And products made from petroleum are known carcinogens. The recipe from Deeli has the best ingredients in this list and one in the archives calls for shea butter, another good ingredient.

Crisco will not taste the best unless enough of the Kool Aid is used to cover it. Adult lipstick should not be put into lip gloss for kids because it contains many ingredients, such as coal tar, that should never be used by children or teens. Adults can decide to use this carcinogen if they want to, but youngsters do not have the experience to make such a judgment call.

Use a recipe with beeswax or carnauba wax (not the car wax, but the natural product from the plant), almond oil, castor oil or jojoba. Coconut oil is good for a secondary oil, but can be slightly drying if used as the only oil. Cocoa butter can also be used for a little more body for the lip gloss.

Hope this helps. (08/10/2009)

By Painted Lady

Homemade Lip Gloss

Oh, goody I can't wait to share this recipe. Just put desired amount of petroleum jelly (Vaseline), and a smaller amount of honey in a small bowl, put in microwave for 30 seconds, take out, check, repeat until liquid, than let it sit out for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy. I have never tried a better more moisturizing lip gloss/balm ever. (11/30/2009)

By Isagirl

July 16, 2009 Flag

How do you make homemade lip gloss?

January 16, 2008 Flag

A good frugal gift idea is to mix three tablespoons all vegetable shortening and a package of Kool-Aid and microwave for one minute.

December 13, 2006 Flag

Mix solid shortening with drink mix, place in microwave until mixture is melted.

lip gloss puddle and applicator
Homemade Lip Gloss Recipes
Crafts Bath & Beauty Lip BalmJuly 20, 2010
A girl putting on lip balm.
Cleaning Lip Balm Stains From Clothing
Making Lip Balm
Making Lip Balm
Plain White Lip Balm on Blue Background
Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
A woman putting on lip gloss.
Cleaning Lip Gloss Stains on Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 9:05:29 AM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.