Browsing: Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Determining the cause of the overload of the electrical circuit is essential. This guide is about circuit breaker keeps tripping.

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 29, 2016 Flag

I live in an RV that has a double pole 15 amp breaker that's tripping. The load is 8 plugs and 2 110 volt AC window units. The breaker box is full, so can I install another breaker box and split up the load?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another box would probably require another feed, maybe another generator or power source.

The breakers is protecting the wire within the walls. It does not allow more current to flow through them than what they are rated for. This is to prevent overheating.

volts times amps equals watts. 240 volts times 15 amps equals 3600 watts. This is where your breaker will start tripping. If each A/C unit is less than 2880 watts (12 amps) (80%) then they can be run individually but not together.

An electrician is always your best bet.

I apologize

I missed that the AC units were 120 VAC.

This means that they must be less than 1440 (120 x 15 x 0.8) watts and not run on the same leg at the same time.

Again, please consult an electrician.

June 23, 2016 Flag

We live in a 10 year old home. The main breaker in our box has shut down our power two days in a row. We have been able to re-set it and get power back, but we are concerned. Any advice? We haven't been operating anything new in our home, so our usage should be the same as it's always been.

To be safe, call an electrician. This could potentially be a serious problem.

Breakers don't just shut off without a reason. Please call an electrician to help you figure out what the problem is. This could be a serious issue that could cause a fire.

January 2, 2011 Flag

We have a 15 amp breaker that keeps tripping. This is something that just started happening. This is what feeds off that breaker: livingroom lights, 2 TVs, kitchen lights, fridge, washer, dryer, master bedroom, guest bathroom, laundryroom lights, all porch lights, and a new gas heater with an electronic ignition and fan. This is a 1977 doublewide mobile home. What could suddenly cause this to happen and is it dangerous?

By Kim from Silver Springs, NV

Best Answer

1) the circuit breaker has gone bad (they do that)

2) you have way, way too much on that breaker!

I would bet that the breaker trips when the heater comes on. The heater should be on its own breaker. I agree with everyone else, call the electrician now!

My question is a legal question can a tenant put a lock on a curcuit breaker so that the landlord has no access to it or any fire department when they come to check.

May 19, 2011 Flag

I just moved into a brand new apartment, we are the first tenants to live here. In my bedroom I have a 47 inch TV, Xbox, surround sound system, alarm clock, cable box, laptop, desktop computer, and monitor (for the desktop), a total of 8 things plugged in.

My 20 amp breaker would pop all the time, so I unplugged everything except my Xbox, cable box, TV, and my surround sound. It still tripped the breaker. So I thought it might be the surge protector I have so I got another one and it still tripped. Now I have used two surge protectors and two separate outlets and it still trips all the time.

I currently have only three things plugged into two different surge protectors on two different outlets and it pops a lot less often, but I shouldn't have to do this. The breaker should easily be able to handle everything. I had an electrician come and check it out and they said everything was fine and it was probably something I had plugged in, but with my Xbox, TV, and surround it doesn't trip. If I add anything else no matter what, alarm clock, laptop charger, anything it trips. It's really getting old. Any suggestions? The breaker only runs the outlets, nothing else, no lights or anything.

By Tyler H.

Best Answer

In order to decide how big of an electrical service is needed in your home, one has to do a little math homework. Calculating how much power both you and your electrical appliances use is necessary to calculate this number. I'm often asked how to figure this load. It really is pretty simple if you know what to look for and how to add up the loads.

Answer:

The first thing to know is that circuits should only be loaded at 80% of the total circuit load. To help you understand the concept, if you have a 15-amp circuit, the safe operating amperage would be no greater than 12 amps. The total wattage would be 1,800 watts, meaning the safe wattage usage would be 1,440 watts.

If you have a 20-amp circuit, the safe operating amperage would be no greater than 16 amps. The total wattage would be 2,400 watts, meaning the safe wattage usage would be 1,920 watts.

On a 30-amp circuit, the safe operating amperage would be no greater than 24 amps. The total wattage would be 3,600 watts, meaning the safe wattage usage would be 2,880 watts.

To determine the wattage, you take the voltage times the amperage. Check the tags on all of your appliances for the required amperage rating. Add all of the lighting load by adding the total wattage of the light bulbs in your home. Look at the light bulbs and read the wattage that is printed on them.

Your home will likely also have 240-volt appliances like water heaters, air conditioners, electric dryers and electric ranges. These too will have an amperage rating label and the wattage can be calculated. The voltage, 240 volts, times the amperage, say 30 amps, will equal the wattage requirements.

That's an awful lot of things to power through a 20 amp breaker and in most bedrooms in apartments 20 amp is standard for a bedroom. Have you asked your landlord if they would mind upping the breaker to higher amps? If he/she says no then consider placing that equipment in the living room instead. Don't even think to change the breaker yourself without the landlords permission because it's their property and if a fire ensues because of a change you made you will legally be held responsible for all damage.

June 28, 2012 Flag

My breaker keeps tripping. My air conditioner is on a 15 amp circuit and it goes out every 6-19 minutes, and then I will have to reset. It also takes out the living room, kitchen, and bathroom lights. This is in a one bedroom apartment. I have unplugged everything in the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen except for the fridge, but it still goes out. What to do?

By Tameka

Best Answer

Actually contact your apartment manager and he should have maintenance check it out for you. Unless you own the apartment, instead of renting it is his responsibility.

I'm not an electrician but I own my place and I have at least one 20amp breaker per room and two for my kitchen. There's way too much electric hooked to a 15amp breaker. Get help.

April 19, 2015 Flag

We have a circuit breaker that all of a sudden keeps tripping. The breaker box goes directly to the power pole and the only thing on the problem circuit breaker is the pump for our well. We've had this pump on this breaker for 15 years and just started having a problem in the last few days. We already tried replacing the circuit breaker. We replaced it with a 15 amp breaker because that's what was in there before. That did nothing. Can anyone help please?

By Tim A

Best Answer

The breaker is tripping from overcurrent. If it trips immediately, it is most likely a short to ground. It could also be a locked rotor on your pump.

If it takes time to trip, it is an overcurrent, and for some reason the pump is working harder than it used to. Maybe buildup within the pump or bearing failure.

Look for physical damage of the cable feeding the pump from the breaker.

If none is found, have an electrician megger the leads to the motor to see if you have a short to ground.

If you do not, you may need to have someone pull the pump and have the motor tested and/or replaced. If it has been the same pump for 15 years, it may be at the end of its life.

June 14, 2011 Flag

I have girls and they keep tripping the 20 amp breaker. I made sure there is 12 gauge wire and there are only two receptacles on this circuit. But when the girls plug in both hair dryers and curling irons it blows the breaker. Will I have to run a dedicated line for each receptacle?

By Troy

Best Answer

A hairdryer is nominally rated 1500watts; according to the NEC, the breaker has to be rated at least 80% greater than the load. Hence, 1500w divided by 120vac = 12.5 amps x 125% = 15.63 Amps (minimum rating for the circuit breaker) Now if you have TWO hairdryers (12.5A x 2 = 25 Amps) on the one 20A circuit breaker, you'll trip every time. If you don't, then you really have problems.

You could run #10 Romex and change out to a 30A circuit breaker but that will put the breaker at maximum capacity. It may make more sense to leave the #12awg, change the circuit breaker to a 25amp rating and run an identical separate circuit of the same. Otherwise you will keep having issues.

The bottom line is not how many outlets are on your 20amp breaker but what else is attached to it. I kept having the problem in our brand new house and found out that we had so much other stuff ex: living room etc. on the same breaker. If there was only these 2 things it won't pop but if it is run off the light switch and another room etc. then that is why the overload. If this is the problem then maybe you could do what we did with my sewing room, from the box to the room through the attic we ran a single wire through the ceiling and cut a hole in the wall ran a wire up to the attic he attached the end and brought it down through the wall and attached it to a plug-in receptacle by itself. Now my iron doesn't dim the living room lights when it turns on. Hope this makes sense but is the easiest and cheapest way to fix an overloaded even new room. Then the girls could plug in their hair dryers both to the same outlet and it won't flip it.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalAugust 14, 2012
Multimeter
Troubleshooting Electrical Circuit Problems
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 2:12:47 PM on 10.0.2.219 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.