Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

My breaker keeps tripping. My air conditioner is on a 15 amp circuit and it goes out every 6-19 minutes, and then I will have to reset. It also takes out the living room, kitchen, and bathroom lights. This is in a one bedroom apartment. I have unplugged everything in the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen except for the fridge, but it still goes out. What to do?

By Tameka

Best Answer

Actually contact your apartment manager and he should have maintenance check it out for you. Unless you own the apartment, instead of renting it is his responsibility.

Your air conditioner should have its own circuit. Have an electrican run a line from the breaker panel to the air conditioner outlet. As long as you have other loads on the current circuit you will have the breaker tripping. My air conditioners have there own circuit and I have no breaker trips.

It shouldn't trip the circuit by itself! WE have 2 circuits in our 50's-era apartment, and have discovered that we can't run the AC unit in the dining area & the microwave at the same time!

So we have to turn off the AC unit when we microwave - but we only used that unit when it gets really HOT - not so often.

I'm not an electrician but I own my place and I have at least one 20amp breaker per room and two for my kitchen. There's way too much electric hooked to a 15amp breaker. Get help.