Browsing: Using Leftover Candle Wax

Recycled Candle Jars

I had a bunch of good candles where the wicks had refused to stay lit, so it was time to make some recycled candles. A local restaurant gave me one of their large cans (those really big ones we sometimes see in groceries). After cleaning and flattening the top, just enough to make a "spout", this became my "candle catch-all". I tossed in my candles, wicks and all, including the leftovers from the little tea candles. Those emptied tea candle holders became the "anchors" for my new candles. To make the anchors, poke a small hole (careful, it's only aluminum foil and punctures easily), in the tealight "cup", pull some wick through the hole, far enough for your purposes, then flatten the little holder all around the wick. I did purchase wick at a local hobby store; be sure to read the details about how each size should be used, mine cost $2.49 for 18 feet.

Cut the wick to the length you need. My new candle holders are glass jars from jam, mustard, etc., cleaned and labels removed (WD-40 is great for removing glue residue). They must be sturdy enough to hold melted wax - no fragile glass here. I heat the candle "stew" enough to liquefy the wax, though it is not necessary to heat to an extremely high degree. After positioning my anchor, I pour the melted wax into the jar (have newspaper all around to catch any little drips). Looping the extra wick over a pencil, centered over the jar, will stabilize the wick until the candle is set.

Candle center will tend to need to be filled in as candle cools. I made some last evening, and they are burning well this morning.

By vbart from Columbus, IN

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I love this! I saw a small shot glass sized candle when I was at the bank today..it had paint on it in the form of a flower and there was a little wick in it and everything. I am going to buy some slightly larger shot glasses at the dollar general and fill them with wax at our antique store downtown who will fill containers with wax for a certain price, and I am considering making these for presents too for Christmas time. I always wondered how much candle wicks were, I never see them in the craft isle at Wal-mart.

Thank you for posting this and inspiring me!

Robyn

Hi I have loads of different bits of scented wax and melts just not sure how the smell would be with them all being mixed together and if they would keep there scent once melted to put in a new jar

Using Leftover Candle Wax, Melted Candles
Using Leftover Candle Wax
Crafts Candle Making How ToNovember 2, 2010
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Reusing Candle Wax
Making Candles from Old Candle Wax
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 24, 2016 at 12:15:53 AM on 10.0.2.59 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.