Material Bunching Up in Sewing Machine Feed Plate

I am having problems with my sewing machine. As soon as I start to sew a seam, the material gets crammed into the feed plate and bunches up. I have tried changing the thread tension, rethreading the machine according to the manual, and changing needles. I am getting frustrated. What else can I do?

By Susan

The only time I have that problem is if I forget to start my sewing 1/4 inch from the edge of the seam. Anyway that is the possible solution if what you described is what it sounds like.

Did your feed dogs get moved? Is your needle the correct size for the fabric you are working on? Do you hold the threads as with your hand as you start the seam? When is the last time you cleaned out around the bobbin and throatplate? Try any of these things and see if that helps.

It sounds like a tension(on the bobbin) or stitch length problem, but I also think you have to match your thread to your material. I think, for example, that cotton thread won't work on silk, and nylon thread won't work on cotton. It's been awhile since I've sewn anything by machine, but I think this is accurate info. Also, don't pull your material too much, just gently guide it along.

On my machines you need to make sure the bobbin and upper threads are pulled toward the back of the machine before you start to sew.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJuly 13, 2011
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Wickker Paper Plate Holders
Using Paper Plate Holders
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎉
🎄