Browsing: Cleaning a Shower Curtain

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Shower Curtain

Periodic cleaning will help prevent mold and mildew from building up on your shower curtain. This is a guide about cleaning a shower curtain.

Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 21, 2011 Flag

I have only a shower in our house. I buy just shower liner curtains instead of the fancy curtains, since it's just the two of us. Some times I buy clear ones, sometimes I buy white ones. They are less than four dollars.

When they start to get a build up on them, I take them down and soak them in the sink in a small amount of bleach and white vinegar water. Then I swish it around and hang on the clothesline outside. You can feel it where it needs to be cleaned. Just keep swishing it until it feels clean. Let it dry and hang it back in the bathroom and it's as good as new. One curtain liner can last a long time.

By Michele from SW MO

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 17, 2009 Flag

We bought a new plastic shower liner, used inside fabric curtain. You should not hang up in the bathroom, as it gives off harmful chemicals. So what we did was hang the liner in the outside garage for 10 days.

By Sally from Buffalo, NY

June 11, 2004 Flag

I found that if I spray the plastic shower curtain liner about once a week with a tub and tile foam cleaner, it will look almost new. I use the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles - just spray on the inside of the shower liner, wait a couple of minutes and wipe off with a sponge or spray with the shower head. Works great!

By Melna

March 12, 2008 Flag

How do I remove scum from clear plastic shower curtain? I was told to wash it in the washing machine with laundry soap and vinegar. I did and all I got was a torn ruined shower curtain.

Coreen from Burnaby, B.C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about getting the rust stains from hard water off? We only use cold water to wash... everything else comes lovely clean. Just can't get the rust off.

When washing a vinyl shower curtain, it is important to use warm rather than cold water. Cold water makes vinyl stiffen up, so it cracks and tears more easily. Warm water keeps it soft. When I started using warm water, my vinyl shower curtains came out whole, rather than torn to shreds!

Throw it out and get a fabric curtain. I wash mine once a month in the washer and leave the rings on. It is simple. If you must use a plastic one, use liners instead of the heavy ones then throw them away when they are dirty. I will never own a plastic curtain again.

I have the plastic shower curtain liner in my bathroom. I put it in the washer with warm water,

gain and Clorox bleach and run it through the entire

wash cycle. It comes out like new.

Read More Answers...

June 16, 2013 Flag

I have white tile in our bathroom and a beautiful new fabric shower curtain that was expensive. I just noticed that both have black mildew on them. I have told my husband to close the shower curtain after showering because leaving it pushed open and folded causes mildew.

How can I remove the mildew from both without using those horrible strong smelling sprays? The shower curtain is gold in color with a diamond pattern and piping around the edges. I can't use a product with bleach on it.

By Cisco's Mom

I have no issues with mine being I buy the good liners. I take both down and drop them in the washing machine. Remove them and hang them to dry.

March 12, 2008 Flag

Place vinyl shower curtain in washing machine with two large towels, add regular detergent. At the beginning of rinse cycle add 1 cup white vinegar. When cycle is finished, hang to dry. Your shower curtain will come out like new!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

Answers:

Cleaning a Shower Curtain

If you clean it it the bathtub you can use a long handled back brush. The bristles are soft enough not to damage it in the hot water but will remove all gunk from the curtain. I also use a back brush for wicker furniture. (01/10/2008)

By MartyD

Cleaning a Shower Curtain

I clean my plastic shower curtain in the washer on hot with bleach, plus a few old towels or rags that can be bleached. They add "scrubbing" action. I run it through the whole cycle, spin and all. In the summer I hang it outside to dry but if it's too cold I run it in the dryer on No Heat just to get some of the water off. Thanks for the tip Tracy about leaving the rings on! I too have a spring-action rod and can slide the curtain off - never thought to leave the rings on! Simple yet brilliant! (01/10/2008)

By Christine

Cleaning a Shower Curtain

I used to wash my vinyl shower curtain until it would eventually rip and then I'd replace it. Then I wondered why I just didn't buy one of those fabric shower curtain liners that I could wash for years before it fell apart. Less plastic in the landfills! (01/11/2008)

By Lynn Beth

January 10, 2008 Flag

Any easy to wash your shower curtain is in your washing machine. Put your shower curtain in the washer along with a couple towels, then add 1/2 cup of each detergent and baking soda. Then add 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle. Take the shower curtain out of the washer before the spin cycle and hang it to dry.

Answers:

How To Clean Your Shower Curtain

I slide the curtain off the rod leaving the hooks on the curtains. Throw them in the washer with your bath rugs, add your detergent, lysol, etc. then wash them on GENTLE cycle leaving the hooks hanging out of the washer with the lid down. Works great! When the washer has finished slide hooks back on rod and let curtain or curtains drip dry by hanging them inside of the tub or shower!

By Tracy

Editor's Note: This is not mentioned in the tip but I would imagine you want to remove the curtain from the washer before it starts the spin cycle. (02/02/2005)

Cleaning Your Shower Curtain

Before you hang the shower curtain, cut the "sewing" off the bottom. That is where the mold will start to collect. (02/03/2005)

By Sandy

Cleaning Your Shower Curtain

Vinegar and hot soapy water in your washing machine. mix with either towels or your bath rugs for scrubbing action. (02/15/2005)

By Tara

Cleaning Your Shower Curtain

I just throw mine in the washing machine -- by itself, and wash it in cold water on the delicate cycle. I use Amway SA-8, and a box of that laundry soap used to last me a year, but that was before I was married and had the luxury of being able to do laundry whenever I wanted. (03/18/2005)

By skbeal

Cleaning a Shower Curtain

I also saw on "How Clean is your House" they just put it in the bath tub with hot water and some laundry soap let it soak for a while and I am not sure if they scrubbed it or not. Question? using the washer, your talking the plastic curtains right? (01/03/2007)

By Marsha

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 16, 2012
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Shower Curtain
Repairing a Shower Curtain
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:23:08 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.