Painting Kitchen With Pink and Grey Countertops

We are purchasing a home with Corian kitchen countertops in a mauve pink with gray flecks and a pink and gray tile backsplash. I want to paint the kitchen cabinets white. What color should I paint the walls? Maybe gray?

I don't want it to be too dark, that's why I'm painting the cabinets white. The living room and dining room kind of flow into the kitchen and I'm not sure I want those rooms gray, but I want it to flow nicely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Jacklin30 from Glendale, CA

You could go get some paint cards that you think are near the colors you mentioned: pink mauve, gray, any other little fleck of color. Some light greens might work.

Do you like the colors? Maybe the one you like most?

I dont think I'd incorporate yet another color into that room. I think if you use the light green suggested previously, your pink and grey will stand out more. Green might be opposite pink on the color wheel and that is why it works, but think about what I've said about it.

All paint manufacturers have a cardboard color swatch of what they call "whites." Pick up one of those. You'll notice that some of the whites are more pinkish, greenish, yellowish, greyish, etc. I think I'd consider the white with the greyish tint to it. But I wouldnt rule out the pinkish one either. See what you think. I"d use this color chart to choose the white for the cabinets as well to give the room a coordinated look as if you'd planned it that way.

As I write this I'm really leaning toward the greyish white for both the cabinets and the walls, but you will know better once you get your swatches. Everyone has different tastes and each room has a different sun exposure. That is if you room is southern facing, you might choose the grey and if it is facing North, you might choose the pink.

Additionally, you might want to consider painting your kitchen a shade of red that has pink overtones rather than orange or yellow ones. That was just a thought that perhaps you hadn't considered. Smile.

Perhaps most important of all is your choice of sheen for your paint. I'd choose satin or eggshell for my kitchen. It has a little sheen to reflect more light and its easier to keep clean than flat paint. Have fun and remember its only paint. If you don't like it you can always paint over it!

Try a pleasing shade of pink on your kitchen and dining room walls and possibly in to the living room as well. I have seen homes done in all pink and you'd be surprised how welcoming it looks. The color complements people's skin tones and they feel good in a pink room. Pink make s a nice backdrop for most wooden furniture, as well. You could always flow to a soft grey in the LR with cream, charcoal and rose or burgundy accents. The cream stands out against the grey and looks very attractive. Above all. make you home something you feel good in. Have fun!

What about brown pink and brown are beautiful together?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions! I appreciate them all. I will get some swatches and play around with them a bit. As one of you mentioned, it's only paint and if you don't like it, you can paint over it!

I would try gray that is a few shades lighter than the counter or tile so it blends but doesn't stand out too much. I love the idea of painting the cabinets. It will make a big difference. Here are some tips on that:

Pink like the back splash, it with really bring out the mauve and grey in your counter top.

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 23, 2009
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Gallon paint cans with several different colors and had holding paint color sample strips
Kitchen Paint Color Advice for Dark Green Counter Tops
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets