Feeding an Adult Basset Hound

What is the monthly feeding schedule for a full grown Basset Hound dog?

By bubbles from Wheeling, WV

Monthly schedule? I don't know about a month but can give so advice about daily feeding. When I was working as my veterinarian husband's office manager/assistant (gopher...) we would advise people to put down an amount of food that the dog would readily consume in about 10-15 minutes. Most dog foods have a recommended amount listed but my dogs never eat that much. They're selling food, remember. If the amount you have selected is too much for that time limit, pick up the rest and save it for the next feeding.

Most "experts" advise feeding only once daily. However, if you feel bad eating and having your dog watching and wanting (as I do) then divide this amount up into 2 feedings. If food is left down so that a dog can eat free choice they will often overeat and gain weight. Think cookies on the counter all day and you in the house... If the amount you have given at first is gobbled up and the dog seems still hungry offer a bit more. It won't take long for you to get a good idea just how much your dog needs every day. I guess you could multiply this by 28 or 30 days to get a month's supply. Dry food is best for several reasons.

Basset Hound
Basset Hound Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 28, 2010
Woman and Her Adult Daughter
Being a Parent to Adult Children
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Adults at Birthday Party
Adult Birthday Party Ideas
Red Bone Coon Hound
Red Bone Coon Hound Breed Information and Photos