Asparagus Peking Style

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp. sherry
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 can drained asparagus

Directions

Heat pan and add oil. Add remainder of ingredients except asparagus. Cook until it comes to a boil. Shut off flame or move pan off ring. Now add asparagus and toss lightly.

By LRP from Lowell, MA

This sounds really good, but in you list of ingredients, 1/4 chicken broth? Would that be 1/4 the broth from one chicken? And 1/4 water? I am on city water and 1/4 of it would be quite a lot. I presume in each case you meant 1/4 *Cup*, but since you didn't say that I can't really know for sure.

Please, dear folks, be as concise as you can be. Old folks like me need our instructions clearly stated; otherwise one of us might use 1/4 of the city's water to cook some asparagus, and the city would not be pleased (and would bill us accordingly).

BTW, please don't be offended by my comments. I see this sort of thing constantly and have been guilty of it myself. The English language is a wonderful tool but, like a good gun or knife, should be used with care and precision. Careless use of these things could shoot off your foot, cut off your thumb, or waste 1/4 of the city's water.

P.S. that should be, "in *your* list of ingredients"... here I am giving an amateur's lecture on grammar and my keyboard goes south on me. Bwahahahahaaaa! Serves me right! (Hey, the main thing is, we're all having a good time.)

Editor's Note: Chuckle. Thanks for catching this Alph. It should be 1/4 cup of each water and broth.

I made something similar, and used pan-toasted slivered almonds as a garnish...it was so good! Can't wait to try this one.