Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

Can you use liquid potpourri to refill plug in fresheners?

By Martin from Eubank, KY

Best Answer

Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I am always looking for ways to save money on household cleaning products. I also want my home to smell clean and fresh, and I love using candles and plug-in air fresheners. When you have them in several rooms of your home, however, the cost can add up quickly. Then I discovered you can actually REFILL many plug-in air fresheners!

Plug-in air freshener.I use the Glade plug-in air fresheners. They don't look like they are re-fillable, but if you look closely, the top of the bottle does come off. All you need is a table knife to gently pop it off.

According to this web site the Glade Wisp, Frebreze Noticeables, and Air Wick scented oil plug-in's can all be refilled.

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before you start on this project. First of all make sure that the oil that you purchase to refill the bottle with is made to be put in an oil warmer. It will state this on the bottle. Do NOT use lamp oil or any kind of oil that is flammable.

You can purchase fragrance oils very inexpensively at Walmart for about $2.00 for a 2 ounce bottle, even cheaper if you buy a bigger bottle. One 2-ounce bottle will refill at least 2 plug-in's. The average price for a plug-in refill from the store is about $2.00, so that is a savings of $1.00 or more per refill.

You can only refill your plug-in bottle once before you need to throw it away. The wick won't last through more than one refill. You might ask if it is worth the effort, but if you go through 5 or more plug-in refills a month like I do, then it is worth it to use them one more time!

When you are ready to refill the bottle, set it in front of you and gently pry off the top of the bottle with a knife. Set the top of the bottle with the wick still in it on a paper towel and carefully pour the new fragrance oil into the bottle.

Be very careful not to touch the wick with your fingers, and be careful not to get the wick wet. If it gets wet it will expand and you will not be able to get it back in the bottle.

Carefully place the top back on the bottle and snap it in place.

If there are any cracks in the bottle or lid so that oil is leaking out of it throw it away. This could cause a fire hazard.

I bought an double airwick plug in. I like them because they have glass bottles, not plastic, which I think are healthier. I was not planning to make my own formula, but my husband felt sick from the strong smell and mentioned it can't be healthy. I started to look online and decided he was right and I started this project. healthy.

I had previously bought an aroma therapy oil set from Amazon and thought that would be working great.

The many reviews stated that you can only re use the wick 1 times and it is a lot more expensive to keep buying new bottles, I found you can order the replacement wicks on amazon as well.

Since the bottles are made of glass and not plastic they can be reused many times,

It was easy to pop of the plastic top with the wick with a general knife and dumped the stuff, yak the smell.

I refilled the 2 bottles with filtered water and added 12 drops of Lavender aroma therapy. Scent of lavender: The aroma is sweet, floral, and herbal with balsamic undertones.

Uses for lavender: Lavender is among the safest and most widely used of all aromatherapy oils. It relieves muscle pain, migraines and other headaches, and inflammation.

The smell is wonderful, my husband approves and I am going to buy several more to place all over my home. When the 2 months are finished I am planning to try a different scent.

Plugged in air freshener
Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 10, 2010
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Renuzit Air Freshener Crafts
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality