Mature Hair Styles for Long Hair

I have long grey hair and besides putting it in a bun, how may I wear it so that it does not look like a 78 year old is trying to look 24?

By DIGGES from Troy, MO

Make a pile of curls on top of your head, although that is kind of outdated. There is also what used to be called the gibson girl hairdo, where they somehow or another make it look puffy, but smooth on top and on the sides, but then in the middle of the back there is a bun. I have always thought that was a really neat look. However, I would just plain get it cut, short hair is so much easier to handle.

Have you tried the new things from Goody? I've purchased both the Spin Pins and the Modern Updo Maker. Those Spin Pins are pretty impressive! If you haven't seen them yet, take a look:

I was thinking about style #1 from the Modern Updo Maker, or #1 or #2 from the Spin Pin. If you've got a *lot* of thick hair (like me), you might need to buy a second set of Spin Pins to make your style really secure. The Modern Updo Maker is okay. It's very quick, but after a while I feel like it's coming loose. But that might be because I'm not so good at using it.

I hope you find something you like! If you want to get those new Goody styling tools, they can be found at Target, and I think Wal-Mart, too.

Comb your hair straight back from your forehead. Gather hair from your ears up into a barrette on the back of your head. You could use one of those bump-it things at your crown, too. Or, instead of a barrette, do a long braid down the middle back over the remainder of your long straight hair. Or, braid all your hair at the nape of your neck into one long braid and leave straight or wind into a bun.

Hello Digges, Take another look at Mrs. Story's recommended "goody simple style" site and in particular, style #2 of the "Modern Updo Maker". You can reproduce nearly the same style with a pony tail holder and a medium sized butterfly clip, and the ends of your long hair can disguise most of the butterfly clip. The style is dressier than a simple pony tail and looks much less "matronly" than a bun, i.e.; nice on us older gals not trying to look 25 again, just reasonably stylish!

Pull your hair up into a pony tail near the top, back part of your head and secure with a pony tail holder. Then twist the pony tail, making it tighter and tighter for about 2/3 the length. Double that portion back up to the pony tail base and clip the twisted, 2/3's portion with the butterfly clip to the back of your head. Use the remaining ends of the pony tail ( about 1/3 the total length of the pony tail, which should now be near the pony tail holder) to spread out and cover most of the butterfly clip. You won't be able to hide the butterfly clip entirely, but at least it won't look like a growth coming out of your head. This also holds very well throughout the day and seldom needs to be readjusted.

I too have very long hair. Honestly, it's not because I'm trying to hold onto my youth, it's because it grows very fast and I'm just too cheap and lazy to go to the beauty shop the every six weeks necessary to keep a short style looking good! Hope this idea is helpful for your needs. Good luck! :-)

You should wear it the way you feel best. Don't worry about what people think, just please yourself.

I am with Mrs.Story's idea for the Goody link suggestions! I love #3 Spin Pin and #2 Modern Updo :-)

Try the videos that are on you-tube. I also have long hair and have found some good ideas there.

My hair has been waist length for nearly sixty years so I've had plenty of time to check out the numerous 'gizmos' that claim to keep it in place all day.

I have found only one that really works and it has the unfortunate name of the 'Stylee'. Despite this, it is worth checking their site to see how it works - go to their dub address at There are a variety of fabrics from which to choose - cotton, satin, velvet and even gingham so your daughter can have a little version for school.

It is basically two combs joined by fabric strips that slide into and through the hair keeping it firmly but comfortably in a variety of updos for the whole day. Honestly, all day - I could put it up at five in the morning, work a busy hotelboat through numerous locks and it would still be in place at bedtime even if I'd jumped on and off the boat a dozen times since breakfast!

Mature Hair Styles
Mature Hair Styles
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips StylingJanuary 20, 2011
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
A gymnast performing.
Best Hair Styles for a Gymnast
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink