Mature Hair Styles

Category Styling
Having an appropriate hair cut and style that makes you feel comfortable, can be a challenging. This guide is about mature hair styles.

How does a women pushing 60 find a hair style? I have thin, limp hair and need a new cut but don't know where to look for good examples. All the models seem to be 12!

By Debi from Portland, OR

Answers

Best Answer

What I do before I go to my hairdresser is google wigs. In particular, Eva Gabor wigs. When I see a wig style I like, I print it out and take it with me to my stylist. Then she just duplicates the cut. The wig pictures gives the length measurements all the way around; sides, top and back and my hairdresser loves this. This way she can see exactly what I want rather than me try to explain it and have her misinterpret. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

I would clip magazine picks of things you like and book an appointment with your hairdresser but ask for a few extra minutes scheduled so you can discuss it before hand. Showing them what you like and asking them for suggestions for your face, hair type and age. They should be able to provide you with a cut you will love for a long time. If not, go elsewhere.

Often, asking someone whose hair you think looks good on them where they go ... works great.

I've learned that spending a few minutes discussing a new do, what you expect, how long do you want to spend in the morning fixing it, etc. All this is stuff your hair dresser needs to know.

Best Answer

I just checked out a book from the library called Staging Your Comeback. There is also a website about it. I forget the man's name who is a stylist. It's for women over 45. It talks about body types and hair styles that flatter older women. It's full of fantastic information. The website has makeovers that are incredible. I don't know the web address, but search out Staging Your Comeback. You won't be disappointed.

I have long grey hair and besides putting it in a bun, how may I wear it so that it does not look like a 78 year old is trying to look 24?

By DIGGES from Troy, MO

Answers

Make a pile of curls on top of your head, although that is kind of outdated. There is also what used to be called the gibson girl hairdo, where they somehow or another make it look puffy, but smooth on top and on the sides, but then in the middle of the back there is a bun. I have always thought that was a really neat look. However, I would just plain get it cut, short hair is so much easier to handle.

Have you tried the new things from Goody? I've purchased both the Spin Pins and the Modern Updo Maker. Those Spin Pins are pretty impressive! If you haven't seen them yet, take a look:
https://goodysi … om/styletips.php

I was thinking about style #1 from the Modern Updo Maker, or #1 or #2 from the Spin Pin. If you've got a *lot* of thick hair (like me), you might need to buy a second set of Spin Pins to make your style really secure. The Modern Updo Maker is okay. It's very quick, but after a while I feel like it's coming loose. But that might be because I'm not so good at using it.

I hope you find something you like! If you want to get those new Goody styling tools, they can be found at Target, and I think Wal-Mart, too.

Comb your hair straight back from your forehead. Gather hair from your ears up into a barrette on the back of your head. You could use one of those bump-it things at your crown, too. Or, instead of a barrette, do a long braid down the middle back over the remainder of your long straight hair. Or, braid all your hair at the nape of your neck into one long braid and leave straight or wind into a bun.

Hello Digges, Take another look at Mrs. Story's recommended "goody simple style" site and in particular, style #2 of the "Modern Updo Maker". You can reproduce nearly the same style with a pony tail holder and a medium sized butterfly clip, and the ends of your long hair can disguise most of the butterfly clip. The style is dressier than a simple pony tail and looks much less "matronly" than a bun, i.e.; nice on us older gals not trying to look 25 again, just reasonably stylish!

Pull your hair up into a pony tail near the top, back part of your head and secure with a pony tail holder. Then twist the pony tail, making it tighter and tighter for about 2/3 the length. Double that portion back up to the pony tail base and clip the twisted, 2/3's portion with the butterfly clip to the back of your head. Use the remaining ends of the pony tail ( about 1/3 the total length of the pony tail, which should now be near the pony tail holder) to spread out and cover most of the butterfly clip. You won't be able to hide the butterfly clip entirely, but at least it won't look like a growth coming out of your head. This also holds very well throughout the day and seldom needs to be readjusted.

I too have very long hair. Honestly, it's not because I'm trying to hold onto my youth, it's because it grows very fast and I'm just too cheap and lazy to go to the beauty shop the every six weeks necessary to keep a short style looking good! Hope this idea is helpful for your needs. Good luck! :-)

You should wear it the way you feel best. Don't worry about what people think, just please yourself.