Cleaning Grill Racks With Ammonia

To clean oven racks or grill racks, place in plastic garbage bag and add 1 bottle of ammonia. Tie up bag and leave overnight. The next day, wipe clean. Sometimes a second night works better if it is real heavy with grease, but the ammonia will cut through the grease!

By Debra from Hampton

This also works great for the burner grates on your gas stove. I do mine about once a month, and their is no buildup of spills or grease on my ten year old stove.

Harlean from Arkansas

Could you tell me what you do with the left over amonia? Thank you!!!

We have a new oven. The racks have never required more than wiping. Recently, we really made a mess of the racks while baking a ham. I put them in a black trash bag, poured in some ammonia and left it for 2 nights. When I took the racks out they were ruined. They looked like I had left them in the oven for a self clean cycle. I just ordered new racks.

What did I do wrong? Everyone posting seems to have success with the ammonia method. Thanks!

My racks got ruined as well. I have to order new ones. What killed me was that the stove is only 4 months old & was used by a tenant.

Brownies overflowing on oven rack and bottom
Cleaning Oven Racks
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousApril 24, 2008
Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Cleaning With Ammonia
A white bottle of household ammonia.
Cleaning Up Spilled Household Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Washing Dishes With Ammonia
Empty wood wine rack.
Uses for Wine Racks