At What Age Do Dogs Go Into Their First Heat?

At what age does a female Chihuahua go into heat? Twice now in as many days I think I've seen blood on my white shorts and it's not coming from me. She's my brother's dog and he is sure to freak out never having a female dog before. I'm leaving in 2 days and want to help him before I go.

By Peggy from San Antonio, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

A female dog usually goes into heat around 6 months of age and ever six months or so after her first. If he doesn't intend to breed her, he might want to have her spayed. Not only does a bitch in heat make a bit of a mess but she also will attract the attention of every frisky male for miles from the scent of her "heat". - Brenda (dog breeder for 23 years)

Thank you Brenda for the quick response. That would be about right then for her. She's a week short of being 5 months. Yesterday she acted like she didn't feel good all day, just laying on her pillow . Bless her heart, I felt bad for her.

He does plan on having her spayed but is recovering from a heart attack and just haven't had a chance.I've grown so attached to her I've threatened to doggie-nap her. I just love her, is going to be hard to go home and leave her.

Msburny, shy of 5 months isn't unheard of either. I have had many dogs go into their first heat between 4-5 months of age. It's good to hear he plans to have her spayed. Hope he can do it before she's "discovered" by a male!

Get her fixed! Dogs can go into heat very early. A male dog will find her, the scent goes for miles. Please, please, get her fixed or there will be unwanted puppies in 8 weeks.

Answer

female beagle
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 13, 2011
An orange cat in heat.
How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?
Portrait of a female golden retriever.
When Do Dogs Stop Going Into Heat?
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:03:49 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 615 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.