Freezing Excess Tomatoes

To use up tomatoes, cook them gently, cool, and then freeze for winter stews, etc. Personally, I live on home grown tomatoes, zucchinis, onions, and mushrooms braised together as a side dish or topped with breadcrumbs and baked to have with a roast. In our family it's always cooked on Christmas day as another vegetable with the traditional roast.

Source: Paternal grandmother who many years ago taught me to cook (like 60).

By Jean from Maffra, Victoria, Australia

September 24, 2010 Flag

Can you freeze tomatoes?

By dhouston from Candler, NC

Answers:

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

Absolutely. My Aunt taught me to wash them well, dry them and put the tomatoes in the plastic freezer boxes. When you need tomatoes for soups, stews, and sauces just defrost. The best part is the skin slides right off once they thaw, so you don't even have to peel them. I've done this for years especially with plum tomatoes and then I can make fresh pasta sauce year-round. (07/27/2009)

By Thenicholas3

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

I always peel them before freezing. I peel them, dice them and micro for about 5 minutes . then put them in zip lock bags and freeze. I use zip lock bags so they lay flat in freezer and do not take up much room. By peeling them before hand, I just dump in any dish I am making. (07/27/2009)

By WIsgal

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

When you take the whole frozen tomatoes out of the freezer, just run hot water over each tomato, and the skin slips right off. Sometimes I let them thaw before using, as they get a little watery. (07/27/2009)

By KLJohn

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

Yes you can. My mom froze tomatoes for many years as I do too. I add some salt although it's not necessary. I've froze them raw and cooked. I think cooked tastes better.You also have to squish them up like you would with canning. I use plastic bags so I can get most of the air out. I don't know how long they will last as we use ours up within 4 months. They'll be watery but it all cooks out. (07/27/2009)

By takecare48

July 23, 2009 Flag

I usually have a surplus supply of tomatoes from my garden and, while I give away many, I still have quite a few left. I've never learned how to can tomatoes, instead I freeze them and it's so easy to do so. Wash them first and let dry on paper towels.

I then cut out the core and place them on a cookie sheet. Put them in the freezer and let freeze overnight. Take them out the next day and, either put in Ziploc bags or vacuum seal (they sound just like Billiard balls when you drop them in the bag and they hit). Store in your freezer until ready to use. When you remove them for use, let them thaw and watch how they slip right out of the skins

By Mary Moo from Wilmington, IL

Answers:

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

This sounds easier than what I do. I usually peel and quarter them and freeze in quart size bags. That's about the size of a can of tomatoes and add to the dish I am making. Lots of times I add them frozen and they thaw as the dish cooks. So much easier than canning. (08/28/2008)

Freezing Excess Tomatoes

I blanch mine, drop into boiling water and the skins pop right off. Then I scrape out most of the seeds, place in a freezer bag, press out the air and lay on a cookie sheet to freeze. They stack right up in my freezer. Great for soups, chili and a summer spaghetti sauce in the dead of winter.
(09/02/2008)

By Diana

Tomatoes on ice.
Freezing Tomatoes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesSeptember 24, 2010
Freezing Cauliflower
Freezing Cauliflower
Pear melting out of a block of ice.
Freezing Pears
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Green Tomatoes
Freezing Green Tomatoes
🎄
🍂