Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Rash on Top of Feet

Pin It

I have a red rash on top of my foot that is made up of 4 lines approximately 1 cm in width that turn circular to my toes.
My dermatologist has never seen anything like it. Does anyone know what it could be?

By Pat from RI

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Nancy12/10/2010

I had a red itchy rash only on the tops of both feet for 6 months. Nothing I tried worked to stop the itch. I finally went to a dermatologist and he diagnosed it as an allergic reaction to the leather straps of my very expensive sandals. I own another pair that I wore all last year with no problems, but the newer pair apparently has something different in the leather. I stopped wearing the shoes, took an antihistamine for the itch and applied a prescription cream. After one week the rash is totally gone. I will try wearing socks the the guilty shoes to see if that will work. They are just too expensive to give away.

By Kris05/12/2009

I have this problem also. Last summer I had a rash on one of my feet for most of the summer. Then this spring as soon as I started wearing flip-flops and flats it flared up. The rash is red, very itchy at times and almost blistered. I used a high strength hydrocortisone, but it didn't seem to do much.

My doctor and I finally figured out (I hope!) that it's actually photosensitivity (a reaction to the sun). She thought I might have had a sunburn on that foot at one time. I also take high blood pressure medication (a diuretic) that can cause photosensitivity. I've been wearing socks or sunscreen for a few days now and it's improving a lot.

By Rudy (Guest Post)08/01/2008

Hi folks, Enough said above. Here is what you need to do.
1. Go to a dermatologist.
2. Before you make an appointment, find out if the dermatologist treats feet with rash, fungus or what ever problem you are having with your feet. Not all dermatologists are specialized in the same field.
3. When you get there, pay attention. Before any treatment is prescribed, the dermatologist should take a sample of your skin and send it to a lab for testing to diagnose the correct infection. If that is not being done, tell the dermatologist politely to have a sample of the infected area sent to a lab for testing. The reason why this is important. They are several types of feet infections that look the same and all the cures are different.

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Carmen F05/11/2011

Last summer a similar thing happened to me. I wore a pair of sandals I had worn numerous times for the last couple of years. One day after work, as I was getting into my car, both of the top of my feet, under the straps, started itching really bad. I couldn't stop scratching! I thought maybe some type of powder or plant had caused an allergic reaction. This lasted for 2 months. It got red, inflamed, gray and scaly, and was very itchy. I thought that maybe it was a type of poison ivy.

I used an eczema cream, a triple antibiotic, nothing. I used an anti-fungal cream, nothing. I finally used an allergy ointment and it went away. I never used those sandals again. Now, after the long winter, I began using sandals again and a brand new pair has now caused the same reaction. Weird! I'm thinking it is an allergic reaction to the adhesive on the straps. This is very weird. And the "rash" is in a line just as the strap on the sandals touched my skin.

By PioneerShelly 12/21/2010

I've had this weird rash on top of both my feets for about a month now. I heard I could have had a reaction to a new pair of shoes I just got. I don't know but when it first began to appear my feet were swollen and red on top. Not just one feet but on both of them. It began to itch so I used a poison ivy cream. It seemed to be fading a bit but I still feel a bit of itchy. So now I decided to use lime to help reduce the red color and the itchiness. I hope it disappears completely though I'm not so sure if it would. Can somebody please give me some advice onto what can I do to make it go away ?

By Gary07/11/2010

Updated pictures as of 7/11/2010 on my progress with my rash. All I have done is stopped using the Baush&Lomb RENU contact solution. This is amazing.

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

By Gary07/10/2010

In regards to the problem with a severe rash on top of your feet, I have had the exact same problem. From out of nowhere 3 months ago, I developed a very severe rash that started on one foot, hardly noticeable, but red dots that itched like crazy. As time went on the rash became more severe and covered both feet. Listen closely, 3 months ago I changed my Contact Lens solution from Alcon to Baush and Lomb RENU, 2 days ago I realized that my contacts were also giving me a lot of trouble, so I swithched back to Alcon. Presto, the rash stopped itching and today the 10th of July, 2010, I have no itching, and no burning. The very first time in over 3 months. I have enclosed a picture that was taken just 3 days ago of my right foot. You can see how severe this rash was. I will post pictures on Monday the `12th of July 2010, and you can compare the results. Hopefully this will help some of you, if you are contact lens wearers. My original post that was posted this morning, has already been removed by some unknown source. Heads up, I think I'm on to something.

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

By Molly Ringer05/31/2010

Really looks like a sunburn! Yikes, hope you've figured it out

By Corine Anderson [1]04/18/2010

Do you have shoes that have that pattern on the top? It could be an allergic reaction if you were wearing them without stockings. It also looks more like a sunburn from wearing patterned shoes/sandals. I've never heard of that particular pattern from Lyme disease as some have suggested, but it is always worth having yourself tested for that. I'd suggest getting some Neomycin (triple antibiotic ointment) to put on your foot. It won't hurt and it might help get rid of it.

By tahlula [4]04/18/2010

It might be Lime Disease. Get a referral to a specialist. Good Luck.

By Maryeileen [76]04/16/2010

I would either go to a podiatrist, or find another dermatologist.

By Deborah57004/16/2010

Lime disease - it makes a circular pattern on the skin. If you have a test for Lime disease too early you can get a false negative. This happened to my Son-in-law 10 years ago. The germ can lay dormant and can flare up in neurological disorders. My SIL is now suffering from Bell's Palsy as a result of Lime disease. I'd go back to my doctor if I were you.

By Lilac [18]04/16/2010

Buy some shoes not made in China. They use toxic chemicals even though they say they don't.

By cecile marie buteau [10]04/16/2010

Hi! It looks to me from a shoe worn such as a flip flop made of synthetic materials. Wear and tear such as moisture underneath the top bands of shoe ware may cause such a rash. Another cause would be wearing shoes that you are allergic to. It is highly unusual to have such a pattern naturally, since there is no anatomical structure that would correlate to muscle or tissue to show this kind of damage.

My suggestion: Change your shoes and dry out your feet, and apply a fungus medicine such as fungi cure.
Good luck.

By Stella Bella [119]04/15/2010

Have you bought any new footwear recently? I know there was a story awhile back of a woman who bought Chinese made zories from Wal-Mart which gave her a chemical burn on her feet after just one day of wearing them.
Hear is a page I found about it: http://www.naturalnews.com/022486.html

By Lisa [2]04/15/2010

Did your dermatologist make any recommendations? I used to work for a doctor, and I know there were times when he would consult with other doctors if there were challenging cases. If nothing else, maybe he could recommend someone for a second opinion (or you could find another doctor on your own).

Best of luck. I hope someone is able to diagnose your problem soon!

Here are questions related to Rash on Top of Feet.

Question: Itchy Rash on Top of My Foot

I have this itchy rash on the top of my foot. It looks like tiny bumps and it itches a lot. It came up overnight, can anyone tell me what this could be?

By Daisy A.

Best Answers

By susan [5]06/27/2011

Have you been wearing sandals with metal against the foot (from holding on a flower, beads, or any other design feature). It may be a metal allergy. I am allergic to metals and cannot wear many sandals because of this problem.

Best Answers

By Sharon06/27/2011

Be sure to wear all cotton socks and use Bag Balm on it. My husband had this problem and the all cotton socks and Bag Balm worked.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Rash on Top of Feet

Hi There! My name is Vannesa and I'm new! This is a great site. I have had a problem with my feet for a few months now and I need help, I get bad itchy skin on the tops of my feet, after I scratch the the itch it gets worse until I break the skin and bleed, Only then the itch stops for a few days then returns.

Archive: Rash on Top of Feet

My name is Vannesa and I'm new. This is a great site. I have had a problem with my feet for a few months now and I need help, I get bad itchy skin on the tops of my feet. After I scratch the the itch it gets worse until I break the skin and bleed. Only then the itch stops for a few days then returns. I get this all the time on both feet, but only on the top, there are now lumps, rashes or spots there and no itching between the toes. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is there a fix?

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

I hope you all have better luck than I've had with this. There seem to be several things that can cause a rash like this. I had a severely itchy rash on top of my feet and around my ankles for almost 2 years, during which time 4 different doctors told me I had athletes foot. Wrong. Anti-fungals made it worse. Cortisones did absolutely nothing. Hot water made it worse. Tea tree oil did not help either. Antihistamines did not do anything. My feet got worse and worse, swelling to huge proportions and oozing like crazy.

Not one doctor could ever tell me how the rash started, but finally one doctor took a culture (after the rash had spread all the way up to my face) and it showed a massive staph infection. Please be careful that this does not happen to you. My feet cleared up after a couple of courses of antibiotics, and ever since that I have been extra careful, wearing wicking socks, disinfecting my shoes, and washing my feet in cold (brrr) water. When I feel the least tingle I apply a benadryl-based cream alternately with Bacitracin ointment, and that has kept my feet pristine until just last night. Now the itchy rash has re-appeared around my ankles in spite of my best efforts.

One quick tip for the intense itching, I found that a spritz or two of sore-throat numbing spray works wonders. (06/29/2009)

By Mary in Montgomery

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

Hi Vannesa, You described perfectly a problem I have been having for a year now. The itching comes on suddenly and it's intense. You scratch until you bleed and create a wound. The next day you can't put on your shoe because the wound you created is so painful. The wound you created is slow to heal.

There are a few things I've noticed about this. If you don't scratch the itch then it disappears in a few minutes. Once you scratch though it rapidly gets out of control and spreads on the top of the foot very quickly. It's like scratching spreads it and it tries to take over your whole foot so don't even scratch it once. The second thing I've noticed is that it always occurs when my feet are very hot from wearing my shoes a long time. This leaves me to believe it is some type of fungus other than athlete's foot. I would simply recommend removing your shoes whenever and wherever they aren't necessary. (08/18/2009)

By Rebootit

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

I think you should know that this is caused by Staphylococcus bacteria. This usually happens as a result of skin becoming open or blistered due to scratching eg., from a sweat rash. This is why it affects the tops of the toes.

It is not fungal, it needs treatment with antibiotics or antibiotic cream. Ointments can sometimes makes the problem worse as they block the sweat glands. The best way to be sure it to get a biopsy. Insist on one and tell the doctor that this is not athletes foot. This should not be going on for months and years. Staphylococcus lives on everyone's skin. Those of us prone to sweat rash or who live in hot countries then scratch our skin when it itches giving the bacteria a chance to get inside. They then multiply due to the conditions being hot and moist. This can then spread to back of hands, elbows, and other areas of thin skin.

It also explains why the rash seems to "travel" along toes and down the sides of the foot or along the hands. Tea tree oil works because it is naturally antibacterial whereas the hydrocortisones and antihistamines do nothing to actually get rid of the bacteria. It sometimes goes away on its own. Washing with antibacterial soap should help. Please take my advice on this issue. (08/31/2009)

By caraheller

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

This is likely caused by an outside insect called chiggers. Walking outside they get on your feet. Rubbing alcohol 70% takes away itch. (09/01/2009)

By jordanmacg

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

My boyfriend has had this exact problem for the last 4 months. I finally convinced him to go to the dermatologist and found out he has strep in his blood. They said it was very serious and said it was a good thing he came in when he did, and should have come in sooner. They also did a biopsy, gave him a steroid injection, steroid cream, an oral steroid plus an antibiotic, anti fungal cream, and an oral anti fungal pill. I suggest you go see your doctor. (10/30/2009)

By Campbellsar88

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

I have recurring foot rash, but only on the top of my left foot. I found if I soak my feet in very warm antiseptic mouthwash it relieves it. Listerine or the generic equivalent usually does it. It always comes back once I stop. Obviously I am looking for a permanent solution. (12/22/2009)

By arnie962

RE: Rash on Top of Feet

I suffered from pretty much the exact same symptoms back when I was around 12 or 13 and got it treated somehow which I don't remember now, and then it came back about 6 months ago. I am now in my 20s. It was severely itchy on the tops of my feet and near my ankles too, with little bumps and things. I would scratch until it would bleed, and nothing I put on it seemed to work, it sometimes actually worsened the symptoms.

I saw quite a few doctors who just prescribed oral and topical steroids that did nothing, then one doctor told me to just soak them in cool water, which worked better than anything. Long story short, it turns out that a pair of shoes I had bought that were made out of leather were the culprit. Apparently it is eczema that I have, and there is a chemical used when making leather that can trigger and worsen eczema. Also, do not use Lanacane or anything with lanolin in it because it also can worsen symptoms and make it swell. Sun exposure is also very bad.

So, if anyone is experiencing intense itching on the top of your feet. Stop wearing leather shoes and soak your feet in cool water until it subsides. Once it is gone just be sure to keep the area hydrated with an emollient lotion. I hope this helps somebody. (01/06/2010)

By AmberRoseShops