Removing Rancid and Musty Odor from Wood

My wooden cupboard with dividers for trays and cookie sheets smells bad. It is a combination of rancid odor and mustiness. The odor has permeated the wooden serving trays.

So far I have used soapy water and Lysol inside of the cabinet. We washed the wooden trays and set them out in the sunshine. We are considering rubbing them with fresh lemon juice to remove odor.
What would you suggest?

By John from Phoenix, AZ

Best Answer

Spray them with pine oil and water. Mix 1/4 cup in a spray bottle with water (Windex) or get one from Dollar store for a dollar. I use it all the time in kitchen, good luck.

Anonymous

What is pine wster

Best Answer

The lemon juice won't hurt but I suggest spraying a test spot with Easy Off oven cleaner. Wait a few minutes and if you see a cleaner spot when you wipe it off you will know that your wood has absorbed grease from your years of cooking.

Best Answer

I would try white vinegar and water solution, perhaps mix in a few drops of dish soap. Give it a good cleaning. Then I would place white vinegar in a bowl or if the drawers are small a votive holder and leave it in overnight. (Close up the drawers when you do this.)

Anonymous

Do not put a lite voltive candle in your drawer unless you want to burn your house down. Not a good idea. Although the vinager will defiantly work. I did this and it worked for me. Leave it in for a few days.

Best Answer

You might want to try this. Go to your nearest pet store and buy a package of activated charcoal (used in aquariums). Place an opened package in your cupboard overnight or longer, with the doors closed. The charcoal should absorb the odors.

Anonymous

Great idea, but just use charcoal briquettes like you barbecue with. A box or 2 of baking soda works well also...good luck.

I tried this and it didn't work.

I was told by someone and trying it now! To use cat litter-- to take out musty smell from old books and now have put in my hutch( old furniture piece been in storage for awhile) to take out old musty smell! It is taking some time! But is safe and harmless spread out on a paper plate in upper hutch/ buffet drawers and cainets with doors! Plan to get stronger smelling orderizing cat litter! Then after few days, open cabinet doors/ upper & lower on hutch/ buffet! This is safe, not harmful way to get rid of old musty smell!!! It is working but not immediately, taking several days!!

I haven't tried it on wood yet but I have seen it posted on other sites. Use coffee grounds on a plat or open container. I have used this to get rid of a fish smell in a freezer. Works great.