Rich Hummus Recipe

I had some of the best hummus at a restaurant that isn't sharing its recipe. It was very rich. Got any suggestions?

It probably had a lot of olive oil in it and maybe some pureed eggplant in addition to the standard ingredients of garbanzo beans, garlic and lemon juice.

Basic hummus recipes are easily found with a Goggle search or if you live near a Trader Joe's they sell lots of different kinds of hummus and you can check the ingredients on the label if you find a variety you like and want to copy it.

Good luck!

Here are some hummus recipes from foodnetwork. ... e&gosearch.x=18&gosearch.y=5

This hummus was almost white.

I'm guessing that eliminates the eggplant.

If I hadn't discovered it after I'd tried the *whole* buffet, I would have had a lot more of it!

Hummus is pretty simple and richness is going to be a function of how much fat it has. There are two sources of fat in hummus: olive oil and tahini (ground sesame seeds). The Silver Palate has a very rich hummus recipe with lots of olive oil.

Have you ever checked They have lots of clones from restaurant food. I've made a few and they've all been pretty close. You can get a free recipe once a week, after that it's 79 cents I think. Good luck!

I make hummus by whizzing up a can of garbanzo beans (drained), a few cloves of garlic, a little salt, a little lemon juice, and a glob of olive oil in the food processor. I think it's pretty good.

It could have been garbanzo and Great Northern beans. I made some of this a couple weeks ago and it was white, whereas garbanzos alone make it beige.

Try using equal amounts of both beans (cooked and cooled or canned, drained)about a cup each, a couple pinches salt, a teaspoon or chopped garlic, a teaspoon or so of tahini (this is an important ingredient, do not substitute peanut butter as I've seen in some site's recipes), a teaspoon or two of olive oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Process until smooth. I add a little bit of water if it's too thick.

Hope this helps.

Photo of homemade hummus.
Homemade Hummus Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Dips & SpreadsJuly 7, 2007
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards
preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Welbilt Bread Maker
Finding Welbilt Bread Maker Recipe Books