Potato Torte with Cabbage, Bacon and Cheddar
- 1/2 head green cabbage or Savoy cabbage
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine (not spread)
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Irish Cheddar or Havarti cheese (Medium cheddar does as well)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 C)
- Blanch cabbage in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Place in colander and refresh with cold water. Shake colander to remove excess water.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook gently until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserve fat. Toss bacon with cabbage.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Toss them with reserved fat.
- In a deep, 9-inch pie pan, place a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle lightly with cheese and top with half of the cabbage mixture. Top with another sprinkle of cheese. Top with another layer of potatoes and repeat the cabbage and cheese layers, using up all the remaining cabbage mixture and cheese. End with a layer of potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven and either serve hot or allow to cool to room temperature and cut into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
By Connie R. from Mountain Home, AR
December 8, 20090 found this helpful
This sounds really delicious and we will certainly be trying it out over the Christmas holiday - thanks
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 19, 2016 at 4:06:40 PM on 10.0.0.180 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us