How Do I Remove Cat Urine Odor from Mesh Running Shoes?

One of my cats had a urinary tract infection and peed in my son's expensive Reebok runners. They are a black mesh, and not the leather shoe. How do I get the smell out of them?

I've tried washing in cold water with laundry soap and fabric softener, mouthwash spray, Nil Odour, and different orange scented sprays. I even tried leaving them out in the sun for 2 days. No luck. As soon as they dry, they stink. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

By Catastrofy from Winnipeg, Canada

Check your local pet store for a product called "Nature's Miracle" and read the label. I believe it can help with cat urine. It is a product that uses enzyme action to dissolve the odor and let it evaporate away. You would wet the shoes with it, then dry them somewhere with good air circulation. If they don't have that brand, I am sure there are others. The pet store should be able to help you.

Yes Nature's Miracle works really well. Hopefully you did not throw the runners in the dryer? Otherwise it does 'set' the smell. I use NM all over the house. I have 2 cats. I buy it at Best West and it is also labelled 'skunk odor remover' but is the same thing.

walmart used to carry (hopefully still does) a product called "totally pets", if not try "totally toddler" in the baby area. It gets the smell and stains out of almost anything. Good luck.

Fresh-Wave is the best deodorizer made. Comes in several different crystals and spray and they also make one to put in laundry. Go to Google to find out where to buy it in your area.

I've never tried "Nature Miracle", but am an expert on cat urine odor. I have 16 indoor cats. Put those shoes in the washer, shake about 1/2-3/4 cup of baking soda on each one. Then get a large bottle of Peroxide (I get mine at Wal-Mart), or a couple smaller ones, and saturate those shoes. Pour slowly so it soaks in. Some will run off. In fact, you can let this soak for awhile if you want as an extra precaution. (15 minutes is long enough.)

Then wash on the lowest water level in your washer with 1/3 cup Mr. Clean lemon cleaner. (Yes, I know that seems a lot.) Control your hot and cold water as it comes in to get the warmest water possible without it being too hot for your shoes. (I run some cold and then hot water, and add some more cold if I think it's getting too hot.) When possible use only hot water.

After this run it through a regular wash. You will want to remove the lemony smell, because it is strong. I am sorry, but in my experience, if the smell still remains, they are ruined.

(I always keep peroxide, soda and Mr Clean on hand!) LOL. I have amazed myself at the things I have saved, simply by thinking to myself. "Well, it's ruined anyway, so I can't do anymore to it!" HeeHee.

Wash them in the washing machine, then add 1/2 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle. I use it when I wash very dirty and sometimes urine-smelling dog and cat blankets, and it works.

Pet urine is what is called a Protein stain. You need to use something that will break-up the protein like Tide, Gain, ERA. Soak in it overnight dilute with some water. Wash twice no extra soap 2nd time air dry. Some people get bad reaction to these brands (hives) in sweaty area's of body. This is because soap is literately eating their skin protein. If that is you. Rinse well and use some vinegar in rinse water to help get soap scum out. Works on old wood

floors also.

I can help. I did this for a friend last we with the same problem as you have only on his pair of nikes. I clean and repair sneakers email me at hotfoodforyou AT hotmail.com and read my profile on here I'm steve1

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesMay 1, 2011
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch
🎉
🎄