Flea Deterrent Using Citrus and Murphy's Oil Soap

We have a terrible flea problem, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and my 7 month old daughter. I have read something on using citrus oils to repel fleas. Is it possible to add some to a bucket with water and Murphy's Oil Soap when I mop my wood floors? Also, can I put some in our laundry to keep them from getting on our clothes or in our beds and laying eggs? Can I spray my carpets with this mixture, if so what do I use and how much? Please help!

By gabbysmom from North Haven, CT

I tried just about every home remedy and store bought remedy for fleas that there is. We have several outside dogs, and one inside, the fleas were about to tote us off! We even tried the drops applied to the back, both over the counter and the ones from the vet's office. The only thing that has worked is the flea tablets from the vet's (Comfortis is the brand mine recommends).I had to give it to all of my dogs once a month for the first 4 months, now I give it about every other month, it has worked wonders!

It is a little expensive, that is true (from $7 to $14 each tablet), but very well worth it. My vet lets me get one pill at a time for each dog, rather than buying the whole 6 pack for each dog. I have not had a problem with fleas since!

I have one dog that nothing at all worked on, and the poor thing was miserable with fleas, but not since I started the flea tabs. I also have another dog whose hair grows back very thinly along his back, where the flea drops used to go, but it is getting better now. I know that it is best to try something else first, but after you try, and if they don't work, ask your vet about the flea tabs, it is well worth the cost to me

Not sure about citrus oils. I know that you can sprinkle regular table salt on the carpets & let sit for a day or two & vacuum. This works for me. I am a dog groomer & when I have a dog come in that has a flea problem I bathe them with regular Dawn dish soap. The trick is to dry shampoo the dog, meaning do not get the dog wet before applying the soap. Fleas put off a waxy oily protection so they can breathe when wet, the Dawn cuts that & they die. You need to let it sit on the dog for a minimum of 5-10 min before rinsing.

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasJuly 18, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Lemon Oil
Cleaning With Lemon Oil
Antique Murphy's Chest
Finding the Value of Antique Murphy's Furniture
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale