Homemade Tomato Soup

So Easy and comes out every time.

• 2 cups tomato juice
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. minced onion (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • Ad
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda

Directions:

Melt butter and stir in flour. Keep your heat down low.

Add tomato juice, I like to use my thick home canned juice, blend in with flour mixture.

Add soda and minced onion. Bring to simmer and heat 5 minutes.

Add milk, heat thoroughly and serve.

Source: My Mother

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

This is my take on homemade tomato soup. I have been making this soup for a long time and always get rave reviews. Someone suggested that I should call it My World Famous Tomato Soup...so I did.

My World Famous Tomato Soup

1 carton Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup (Trader Joe's or your favorite brand)

1 14 ½ oz. can of Petite Diced Tomatoes with the juice (plain or flavored with green chilies or whatever flavor you like).

2 cans low sodium chicken or veggie broth

Grilled veggies (see note)

Chopped fresh spinach and/or ½ a bag of frozen chopped spinach

Fresh basil or dried basil (or both!)

½ tsp. baking soda

Milk or half and half (I use fat free half & half) - a glug or two.

Johnny's Seasoning salt, Trader Joes 21 Seasoning (or your favorite herbal seasoning), garlic powder and pepper to taste.

I use onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash or even frozen stir-fry veggies. I season my veggies with Johnny's Seasoning Salt, lots of garlic powder, pepper and herbal seasoning. That one makes a huge difference in the flavor. I don't measure the seasonings, just eyeball it. You don't have to grill them on the BBQ; you can season the veggies and roast them in the oven. I whirr them in the blender till chopped well but not puréed. I use enough veggies to make probably 2 cups or so of the puree.

Pour the tomato soup, diced tomatoes, chicken broth into a big pot and bring to a boil. Take the pot to the sink and then add the soda. It will foam like crazy and sometimes it overflows (that's why the sink!). You need to do this so the milk or half and half don't curdle. The soda also takes away some of the acidity. Stir till the foam goes away. Return to the stove and add the pureed veggies and gently simmer for awhile.

When you are just about ready to serve, add the basil and the fresh or frozen chopped spinach and cook. Then add the half and half or milk or whatever you may like.

Serve with garlic croutons or little oyster crackers or toasted cheese sandwiches! Delish!

Note:

The last time I made this soup I didn't feel like heating up the BBQ, so I chopped all the veggie fairly small and browned them all in an iron skillet over medium heat. When all the veges were nicely caramelized, I poured them all into the pot that the tomato soup base was heating. Deglaze the skillet with a bit of water to get all the flavor up and add that to the soup.

The bonus to preparing soup this way is that I don't have to chop the veges up with a blender or hand-held stick blender like the recipe calls for.

I also added some yakisoba noodles and a can of rinsed white beans. It was yummy!

A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.
Tomato Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SoupsFebruary 3, 2010
bowl of soup
Tomato Bisque Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipes
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms
🎉
🎄