Bleach Has Made My Shirt Pink

I bought an off-white (sort of really light beige) colored shirt recently. The first time I washed it, it came out with a couple of purple splashes on it from another t-shirt in the wash I suppose. I bleached it lightly to try and get rid of the stain. Immediately after I submerged it in the water and bleach solution, it seemed to turn a really light pink color. The stain came out but now it's this different color. Is there anything I can do to get the pink out? I'm sure that the pink is not from the stain, but a reaction to the bleaching process.

Thanks!
Matt B from San Francisco, CA

Best Answer

The best way that I have found for this kind of problem is to get a dye remover like Rit. If it is an allwhite shirt it should come right out. Another thing I use is Shout Color Catchers. I use one in each load of laundry. I spend about $3.50 every other month on a box and get it from the Dollar General Store.

Teacups95

Same thing happened to me - my white sleeveless top turned pink around the armholes and neck when soaked in bleach so I rinsed it then soaked in bleach again for about 1 hour then hung outside wet in full sun (didn't rinse the 2nd time). Within 1 hour the pink had gone white again.

You can dye over the pink of your shirt by soaking it in a strong tea or coffee solution until you get the color you want, remembering that it will be much darker wet than dry. Ironing it on the highest setting possible for the fabric will help to set the color, but you will still have to wash it separately, and may have to refresh the color from time to time. Fortunately, this is not difficult to do.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the advice.. I tried the rit color remover and that worked like a charm. Awesome! Now I can wear my hoodie again :-)

Stuck in hotel with 10 pink uniforms for guys all over 6'5 not about to wear pink for basketball tourney tomorrow-no rit color removal to be found in any store any other household ideas like baking soda or something?

Editor's Note: Can you dye them? You also could try vinegar or bleach. Let us know what happens.

Does anyone know if the Rit color remover will work with 100% beige sheets that turned light pink after washing them with detergent and bleach? Or would the tea solution work better?

Thanks!

A pink stained shirt.
Bleach Has Made My Clothing Pink
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 12, 2006
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
🎉
🎄