PlumbingHome

Bleach Tablet Stuck in Toilet

I accidentally flushed a bleach tablet down the toilet and now it is stuck. A plunger won't work. Is there a way to dissolve it? Help!

By Chick

Anonymous

Whatever you do, do not use anything other than warm (not hot) water to try to dissolve the tablet more quickly! Don't even use something as simple as baking soda or vinegar because anything with chlorine bleach in it can have a dangerous chemical reaction mixed with 'any' other chemical! If waiting for the tablet to dissolve is not an option and plunging doesn't work then snaking the toilet should do the trick.

Anonymous

So I horrifyingly ran into this problem. I I called a plumber who said the only way that they could fix the prinlem would be by charging me $350 to replace the toilet. Hell no! So I started by having 3 stiff drinks (which I needed to forge through all if the naysayers and warnings). I then poured atound 12 quarts of extremely warm water successively into both the toilet bowl and tank flushing in between. I affected multiple rounds of alka seltzer into both the tank and the bowl (4 tabs for each) along with Dawn dishwasher, vinegar, and baking soda, multiple rounds alternating between the tank and the bowl. Toilet flushed in 30 minutes temporarily. By morning, clog was clear.

Best Answer

I did the same thing and found out if I used a wet dry vac I sucked the tablet out of the toilet and all was good.

Same story here. I accidentally flushed down one of those hard, drop-in-tank toilet bowl cleaners. Now it's lodged in the pipes and the bowl won't drain except while plunging vigorously. Is there any chemical or other method that can be poured down the toilet to dissolve the hard disc? It is designed to dissolve gradually over 4 months in the tank, but I can't wait that long to get my toilet back! If not dissolve it, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Run a toilet auger through and once it's in put your shop vac in and suck it out as you pull the auger out.

By the way, thanks Deeli for your words of caution. I worked with chemists and other scientists for 2 years in a company that made its money by promoting safety, and I agree completely. Don't mix products formulated with bleach with any other chemicals unless doing so in a highly ventilated area (i.e., outdoors or under a certified laboratory fume hood, not in your residential bathroom) and wearing certified protective equipment certified for respiration, skin, and eyes.

I've been pouring pot after pot of hot water down the toilet for a couple hours. It's starting to drain faster. Any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Thinkfast, did you try using the snake I suggested? It will greatly help break that tablet up! You can purchase one at any hardware store or places like Home Depot or even rent one from an equipment rental company. Personally, I would just purchase one and have it on hand for future plumbing needs instead of renting. And thank you for stating you know professionally about chemical reactions I mentioned! Let me know how the plug up problem is faring. :-)

Anonymous

I just rapidly plunged for about 5 minutes, keeping the plunger under water. You can start to hear the tab move around a bit and sooner then later it will drop.

I put a bleach tablet in my toilet and some broke off so now the toilet doesn't flush well and the water does not go down.

By Mary Ann from Stockton, CA

Answers:

Bleach Tablet Stuck in Toilet

Have you tried plunging it with a plunger yes or no? (06/30/2010)

By britneynickole

Bleach Tablet Stuck in Toilet

Scoop out as much water as you can then put in a couple of spoonfuls of bicarb soda followed by a cup of white vinegar. (07/01/2010)

By darnit

Bleach Tablet Stuck in Toilet

The chlorine tab should not be a problem, it will naturally break down. However if you have other stuff in there then it might be holding it, time to plunge it. I put mine in a onion net bag. Tie a knot so it doesn't fall in, and put a slice towards the top to put in the tab.

Ria (07/02/2010)

By HSLINKS