Mexican Chicken

Easy, tasty meal with a kick to it. One of our favorites!

• 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 pkg. of chicken tenders (fat trimmed)
  • Ad
  • 1 (2 cup) bag shredded jack cheese or pepper jack cheese
  • 1 (16 oz.) jar medium picante sauce (use mild if using pepper jack)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
  • pot of hot cooked white rice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place uncooked chicken in the bottom of a 9 x 7 inch or similar size Pyrex dish. Cover chicken with the bag of shredded cheese. Pour the jar of picante sauce over the chicken and cheese evenly. Add water (I use the picante jar to get remaining sauce out).

Bake 1 hour uncovered.

Serve over rice. Yummy! :)

Servings: 4
Time:5 Minutes Preparation Time
1 Hours Cooking Time

By Andrea from New Albany, OH

I've been experimenting with using spices along with the cheese and salsa but I truly like your simple idea of just using cheese and salsa! I am giving a thumbs up but I hope you don't mind if I suggest baking time only needs to be around 25 to 30 minutes for this amount of chicken 'parts' at 350 degrees. You'll have much more juicy and tender chicken breasts (or thighs, wings, etc) if you reduce the baking time. If this amount of time worries you just check with a meat thermometer at 25 minutes and as long as the chicken is 165 degrees you're good and safe to go. :-)

Great idea! I took the idea and made some changes. I replaced the chicken with pork loin, then went ahead and used pepper jack cheese with a sauce of jalepeno peppers and tomatillos. mmmmm it was good. Thanks, at the end of the month, it's whatever is in the fridge.