Saving Money on Window Cleaner

Having clean windows makes everything outside look nicer. However, the cost of window cleaner can add up, especially if you have a lot of windows to clean. This is a guide about saving money on window cleaner.

February 29, 2008 Flag

Tips for saving money on window cleaner as posted from the ThriftyFun community.

Windshield Cleaner

Don't pay extra for Windex. Wait until your auto parts store has car windshield cleaner on sale and stock up. Save dollars by refilling your spray bottles at home.

By Terri

Vinegar

I just use vinegar to clean my windows. It is cheap and I always have it on hand.

By Ziggee

Dilute Vinegar Or Windshield Wiper Fluid

I have not bought window cleaner in years. Instead I make my own, in one of 2 ways: I don't use paper towels on windows either. I either use old newspapers or old cloth diapers.

By April

Hot Water

I use hot water and micro cloths. Many have asked how I get my patio doors to shine.

By Lavonneann

Vinegar and Newspaper

I use plain white vinegar and crumpled up newspapers. The ink in the newspaper shines up the glass or mirror beautifully. Easy, fast, and inexpensive!

By AnyaB

Vinegar Window Cleaner

Ingredients

Directions

Put all the ingredients into a clean spray bottle and shake to mix. Use as you would a commercial glass cleaner. Spray on glass and wipe dry with a clean cloth or newspaper.

Rubbing Alcohol

Use regular rubbing alcohol. Just a couple drops on a cottonball, paper towel or rag will clean any glass squeeky clean with no streaks for less than pennies per use.

By Mary

Dawn Ultra in Water

A couple of drops of Dawn Ultra in a spray bottle full of water works wonders on glass and mirrors. We use it everyday at the convenience store I manage. We also use it in the windshield washer container outside in the summer months. Leaves surfaces streakfree. One bottle of Dawn lasts a very long time!

Gina from Missouri

Rubbing Alcohol and Ammonia Recipe

I have the best glass cleaner recipe ever! I've been using this for over 10 years! You can also put it in your window washer container in your car. No streaks!

Mix equal parts in an empty squirt bottle.

By Jane from Anaheim, California

Do you have any ideas? Feel free to post them below.

alcohol and amonia sounds like a deadly combination to me. alcohol is fumy and of course so is amonia.

Save the paper the cashiers wrap breakables in when shopping. Its kind of like newsprint. Places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Pier 1, etc. wrap dishes & ceramics in it before bagging it. Along with spray of your choice, it cleans glass better than paper towels and its free.

I mix equal parts vinegar/water/rubbing alcohol. Works great! Be sure and use newspaper.

I read somewhere that you should not use auto windshield cleaner as window cleaner. Something to do with the toxic chemicals and breathing the vapors. That's what I don't like about ammonia. I think the dawn diluted with water is good or you can pick up a jar of window cleaner at the dollar store. I'd rather spend that $1.00 and be safe! Actually, I would rather not have to clean windows at all!!

I've spent 30+ years owning and operating my own residential services business. If you have to use a "cleaner" on glass, then I suggest using auto windshield wash, cut 50% w/water. It can be bought anywhere from 69 cents to 99 cents a gallon & it wipes up clean & w/o streaking. Having said that, there's an even better, faster and cheaper method I've used for decades. Don't "wet" glass, chrome or mirrors to clean them. Instead, use 0000 steel wool and clean them dry, wiping off or vacuuming away the leftover "dust." This method works especially well with glass shower doors/enclosures and outside windows. It takes very little "elbow grease" & there is nothing better for removing those hard water spots & mineral deposits.

May 10, 2007 Flag

Spring cleaning has arrived and time to clean all your windows. This year I purchased an empty spray bottle for $1.00 and a gallon jug of windshield washer cleaner for $1.69.

August 27, 2007 Flag

For cleaning mirrors and glass, I use windshield washer fluid and fill my spray bottle. It does the same job as the expensive glass cleaner at a fraction of the price.

September 15, 2010 Flag

I use gallon jugs of car window washer cleaner for cleaning my house windows. I just reuse an empty spray bottle or buy a cheap one and refill as needed. It works great on cleaning them.

January 31, 2001 Flag

When washing your windows mix equal parts vinegar and water to use as a cleaner and then use newspaper to dry. Cuts dirt on glass much easier and doesn't leave streak marks. Works inside or outside.

May 7, 2004 Flag

I clean my windows and mirrors with cheap windshield wash. It is about $1.00 for a gallon and I use it full strength.

January 9, 2009 Flag

Here is a great inexpensive and ozone friendly tip for cleaning windows and mirrors. Alcohol vinegar is found in almost every household and is a very good cleaning agent.

Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsSeptember 9, 2011
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Close up of Cleaning Eyeglasses
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes
🎉
🎄