Making a Rag Mop

Does anybody know how to make a rag mop? I have a lot of towels that have seen better days that I don't want to use in my (new) bathroom. They are still in reasonable condition if rather dingy looking but seems a pity to toss them or use them as floor cloths. A rag mop would be ideal as they would be put to good use.

Thanks,
Cettina from Malta, Europe

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

i use the square plastic mops ,dif companies put them out, bonia is one..i cut the towels in half then just put over plastic what ever u call it,square thing and just hold it on with big rubber bands, if the towel is big enough just tie the corners together...then throw in wash and use again..old tee's work too....

tumpy, wat a brill idea! i was thinking on the lines of cutting the towels in strips and attaching them somehow to a broomstick or watever. this way, i dont have to cut them up into strips and its so easy. less chance of fraying and more important, less time wasted! thanks for your suggestion.

Wonderful!! I have a bag of torn towels my hubby sometimes uses for rags and am in need of a new mop! I am thinking of tearing into strips and putting on the old mop head halved and weaving in 1 strip to hold all into place, will let you know how it goes!! Thanx for sparkling my imagination!

Once upon a time you could buy a mop frame for using rags or a string head. I don't know if you can still find them but I am still using mine. Maybe janitorial suppliers would have them.

You could donate those old towels to your local animal shelter. They always need this type of stuff for the animals.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

August 11, 2011 Flag

I want to make my own rag mop as the traditional store ones fall apart after I've used them for a month, especially if I bleach them.

By Julia from Berea, KY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have heard about using those mop heads that have a clamp that holds the mop in place. It was recommended to put rags in the clamp (old tee shirt, towels, etc. ) rather than a traditional mop head. It sounds like it would work.

Try buying your mop head from a hardware store (like Home Depot) or a janitorial supply business.

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsJuly 31, 2008
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Steam Mop
Using a Steam Mop
Spin Mop
Spin Mop Product Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 12:53:32 PM on 10.0.1.163 in 997 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.