Ester C for Joint Pain in Dogs

Unfortunately our elderly black Lab/Shepherd mix has begun to have hip troubles. It is very difficult for him to get up, lie down and maneuver steps. I received a prescription for Previcox from our vet which worked amazingly well, but it is very expensive and is quite toxic for continuous use. I started the Google search for some other possible remedy.

Ester C came up as a possibility, and it just so happened that I had some in my kitchen cabinet. It took about three days to see an improvement, but it worked. The dosage is 2000 milligrams, and it needs to be Ester C. Regular vitamin C is too harsh for a dog's stomach. I have not noticed any side effects, and he has been on Ester C for a few months now.

Source: http://www.workingdogs.com

By Stephanie from Albuquerque

Top Comment

Please be very careful of any medication you administer to any animal irrespective of age before you consult your Veterinarian. My senior German Shepherd girl has yearly Cartrophen injection this will increase to every six months if necessary as her age increases.

Hello Stephanie, my name is Lynn and I am in Australia. I wonder if you could tell me what the main ingredient is in Ester C. I have never heard of it, and I have a beautiful long haired German Shepherd who is now 12 years old and getting very stiff and hesitant to climb into the car, etc. I was getting injections for her at the vet but I cannot afford to pay $250 for each course. I have been giving her glucosamine and chondroitin but I am interested in the product you are talking about. Thank you for the information.

Thank you for the info. I am going to try this. My 11 year old Rotti/blue heeler also has hip problems and arthritis. I don't want to put her on Previcox for the same reasons as yours. I have tried glucosamine and chondroitin but this didn't work for her. It does not work on every dog as my Vet had advised. I do give her a baby asprin when she has a bad day. I tried the every day baby asprin routine but this gives her an upset stomach and diarrhea. I can only hope that this will give my dog every day relief. She has been a great dog and deserves to have a good life in her remaining years.

Did your vet approve this? I ask because my GS has the same problem and I was going to give him aspirin which I gave to a previous shepherd. I called and asked my vet if it was ok and she said "NO". He is taking prednisone for another condition and the two can't be mixed. Thought I would pass this on to you in case your dog is on another medication.