Using a Computer in My Living Room

I would like to set up my computer in my living room because of limited space. However, my living room is decorated in traditional/elegance style. Do you think it will look tacky with all the cords hanging down? How can I make the computer desk/area look nice and blend with my elegant furniture. The computer desk is a small open glass top desk.

Onesummer

I had the same problem. However, I had to say too bad if it was tacky. It does not look so bad. I need the computer down here so we can have access to the internet and monitor the kids and what they are doing on it. To me that was more important than the looks.

http://www.savi  ri.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

If you get a regal-looking desk, it would blend in nicely with the elegant look. And the cords will all hang down the back; if you loosely tied them all together, or even go cordless as much as you can, then it would look as nice as you could make it look. I agree with Savings Assistant, it's so much more important to moniter what web-sites the children get on, than to worry about what it looks like. (Here's a funny: when my sister had to move into a 750 square foot house with six children, she turned her "living room" into a combination Living/Library/Laundry/Tool Shed room.) Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Get a small computer armoire, you can get a small fancy one to match the rest of your furniture and when you aren't using it, it looks like a piece of furniture and the cords are hidden. I have a large one with drawers on the side and I love it.

A cable Zipper will hide the dangling cables and turn it into a tube with the cables inside. Here is an example.....

http://www.stap  mp;ci_sku=633146

If you cannot afford a more elegant desk, use a more elegant chair that suits the decor. I personally wouldn't be overly concerned with it. I think modern things like TV's and computers should look like what they are, and the style of the rest of the furniture can be whatever you choose.

You can go to your local hardware store and get cheap bi-fold doors. If you get 2 sets, you will have four doors, but only the sets will be hinged. You can buy inexpensive hinges, using the door kind that have the pin that keeps it together.

That will keep the two sets together, but make them easier to set up and take down. They are about 80" tall, so if you can set them up safely like a room divider, you can "hide" it.

My home is pretty much "early goodwill" so I don't worry. My collections and plants bring it all together.

If you can't afford the doors, you can get a wonderful old quilt, a nice shower curtain, or a pretty lace or fabric drape set. Have three good sized cup hooks from the ceiling and a shower curtain, and you are in business!

Good luck!

How about covering the computer table with an elegant, floor length tablecloth or blanket to match your decor?