Recipe For Barbecued, Slow Roasted Beef

Years ago on a trip to the USA, I had the most brilliant meal of slow-roasted beef in Kansas. I don't know the cut of beef, but it was a very large, boneless piece. Not the fillet, but perhaps a whole piece of steak (enough for about 10 people). It had been marinated, then slow-roasted on a very low heat for 10-20 hours (I can't remember the exact length of time, but definitely overnight. It was then finished off the next day on a barbecue, and was the most delicious, tender, juicy meat I have ever tasted. Does anyone know of this recipe.

Brenda from Melbourne, Australia

That would be a brisket. They are a standby in West Texas where you can get "packer trimmed" which includes large amounts of fat or also a closer trimmed brisket. In upstate New York, I found corned beef (which is not what you want) readily available but not the whole briskets.

I have several recipes which call for overnight marinades. but I just cover it with a bottle of bar-b-q sauce and cook overnight at 250. Let stand for a few minutes before slicing.

I live here in Texas and we cook something similar to that you were talking about.We buy a brisket and marinade it in Stubbs beef marinade and Stubbs mopping suace.Plus a bottle of Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce.We put it in an aluminum pan and cover with foil and let sit overnight.The next day we put pan and all the marinade on a smokerer grill for about 12 hours.You can also do this in your over for 12 hours on 350 degrees. The flavor is out of this world.The meat is so tender it just melts in your mouth.Hope this helps you out.

I don't know the recipe, but I'm from Oklahoma - we have a lot of barbeques! - and to me it sounds like you're thinking of smoked brisket. This is the first website I came up with from a Google search:

http://www.smok  sketrecipes.html

Good luck!

I'm not from Kansas but from Nebraska. You are describing something we called buried beef. It was made with whole rounds (the rump of the cow), Cosco and Sam's sells them.

Here is the rub we used:

1 parts salt

2 parts brown Sugar

1 parts ground cumin

1 parts chile powder

1 parts freshly cracked black pepper

1/2 parts cayenne pepper

2 parts paprika

The meat is rubbed and kept cool for up to 24 hrs. Mean while dig a whole in the ground 2 - 3 feet deep or use a fire pit. Use hard wood and start it. Burn until there is just a bunch of live coals left, level them out. Put a 2 inch layer of sand on top of the coals. We enclosed the rounds in tin foil and put in a gunny sack. Dropped them on the sand, fill sand around and over the meat, keeping the top of the sack above the sand. The next day pull the meat out and enjoy. If it cools heat sliced meat on a grill for a few min.

I would say that it was quite possibly either London Broil or Sirloin Steak. Either one of them are so much better when slowwwww cooked in the oven and then put on the grill.

If this isn't it, I hope you find what you are looking for!

God Bless,

Sheila in Cocoa, FL

That sounds awesome!

Brenda, you most likely enjoyed a beef brisket at your barbecue. This is a cut of beef with good flavor that would normally be rather tough if cooked like a steak, but becomes very tender when smoked over low heat for 8-10 hours. It is usually rubbed with spices prior to going in the smoker and is then sliced across the grain for serving. The meat is allowed to rest wrapped in foil before slicing to keep the juices in the meat.

Thank you to everyone for all the responses. I definitely have a few recipes to try out in the next few weeks.

Kind regards,

Brenda in Oz

Brenda, after you try your recipes, I please let us know what you found was closest to the Kansas beef you had.