Puppy Has Worms

How do I get rid of tapeworms in a puppy?

By angel40 from Salem, WV

Tape worms are serious business in an animal. Take him/her to the vet. Does not cost much for the worm medication. Puppies must be dewormed.

Get him to the vet. I once tried to save money by doing it myself with a grown dog. Sargent's almost killed her. The vet was amazed that she lived. And remember, puppies are much more delicate than a grown animal. Get him to the vet.

I buy supplies from Petmeds for my animals. They have the pills that vets use for cats. I'm not sure if they carry them for dogs, but it would be easy to check. This is the only place I found that has them for tapeworms. Someone said you can buy diatomacious earth and mix some in their food, but I've never tried it. Maybe someone who has will let us know...

I've had tremendous success getting rid of parasites and keeping them off by feeding raw liver (pig or beef, whatever is cheaper) to my cats and dogs from time to time.

The dewormer from the vet is very cheap, only about $1.00 per pill. Within 24 hours the worms will be gone, so it's worth it.

There really is no thrifty way around this that's absolutely safer than going to the vet.

May 18, 2012 Flag

Will a egg get rid of worms in my puppy?

By Sherri B.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Diatomacious earth. Must be food grade. Caution as other Dia earth has poisons in it. Dosage not critical. Medium size and a little larger like a boxer pup would get about 1/4 teaspoon over food every day. This will take care of intestinal worms only.

Heartworm must be very carefully done by a vet. Seems all pups are born with roundworms. Diatomaceous earth is a natural product, not a poison and very effective. I use it for worming my cat and even my parrot. Eliminate fleas in environment. Fleas carry the tapeworm. Google 20 Mule team Borax (dry in carpet) for effective flea treatment.

August 12, 2009 Flag

My dog had worms. I think they are tape worms, but I am not sure. They are small and very flat. We treated her about a week ago and today she went poop and it came out all gooey and there was blood in it. Is that normal? Thanks.

By titekilyz003 from Canada

Puppy Has Worms

All the worms come out after you give a dog the medicine, but I'm not sure about the blood. It wouldn't hurt to call the vet and ask. (04/06/2009)

By Wendopolis

Puppy Has Worms

There are different treatments for different worms and some require two different treatments to kill both active worms and the larvae or eggs. Treating a sick animal shouldn't be guesswork.

Bloody stool is "not" normal ever for any kind of animal including dogs and humans. Get the dog to a vet. Enough blood in the stool can cause anemia or worse. Even fleas can eat enough blood on a pup to kill them from anemia. You can get their shots and spay/neuter done or at least scheduled when you're there. (04/07/2009)

By dh8

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 12, 2009
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
Chihuahua Puppy
Treating a Puppy With Worms
Remedies for Worms in Cats