Windshield Protector to Insulate Window

contest winner icon

Our bedroom gets bright sun, and here in Southeast Georgia, it can reach the mid-80s in there, even with the A/C wide open. So I came up with an idea that lowered the temperature in there 20 degrees or more, depending on the amount of clouds.

I went to the dollar store and bought some of those shiny silver windshield sun blockers that you unfold and place in your windshield to keep your car from blistering. I cut them to size to fit snugly inside the window frame,with the shiny side out, then cut an old white piece of fabric to cover the front of them, so the shiny part couldn't be seen from the outside of the house. Then I duct taped them to the metal on the inside window frame, so no heat could get around the edges.

After I hung my blinds and curtains back up, the windshield blockers are invisible. From the outside, it looks as if I have a white window shade, not tacky at all. And inside, I am chillin' !

By Gloria from Darien, GA

Just for the record, they make a thin plastic window glass cover. It is inexpensive. It lets light in, and you can see out but it reflects the sun. Your windows will feel cool to the touch. It looks like a mirror from the outside but like a window from the inside. I think that would be cheaper than the windshield covers especially for a patio door or double window.

The windshield covers were 3.00,and I was able to keep from having that "mirror" look,so it looks nice from the outside.The windshield covers also have a thin layer of foam insulation built into them,so that helps, too.

I think that is a neat idea! I was thinking of Tinting my windows like someone else said above and I wonder if it would be just as cool or would it lose something.

For less than ten dollars you can buy a roll of window shield. It protects your windows from heat and still lets air in. It isn't tacky looking like a blanket and you don't have to cut and whack on something that blocks your light. I really believe in all instances when an item is needed, it makes sense to see if what you want is available for that purpose before you go to great lengths to use something else.

I have done this and it's a great idea. I have frosted plastic you get from the Walmart's fabric center that is 5' wide and about 2.97 per yard. It protects me from the upstairs bedroom windows next door. Then, when the western sun hits two of the three windows in my apt, I hang them up and no one knows what is inside.

Do whatever you have to to stay cool and save money!

Does it make the room very dark? Seems like it would. That would make my daughter happy.

Love your idea of car window covers to reflect the heat out! These would work well in the winters here, where it gets really cold, as they are insulated! They would work great at night to keep the cold out. Thank you for the great idea!

Woman Driving in Summer
Summer Driving Tips
Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsMay 3, 2011
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying