Nothing Is Working To Get Rid Of The Fleas

By Carol Broyles 1

I have 5 dogs in my house as well as 5 children. I have a flea problem. My question is: how to I kill the fleas, eggs, whatever that are on all the piles of clothes in my kids room. They leave all their clothes on the floor and I'm sure they are loaded with fleas, because they are everywhere else. Also what do I do with their stuffed animals?

I am about to go crazy. I have a very large house also (3600 sq. ft. 2 floors) so bombing and spraying is very expensive, and I'm not sure it is working. At the moment, I am sitting with a towel on my head with Dawn detergent rubbed into my head and hair. Please help.

By mammatimes5

Filter Sort

By Cheryl 1 17 Flag

The important thing to remember is when treating one animal for fleas to treat all of them. What I do is I get the largest Advantage for dogs. Most vets will sell a tube singley for around $17. Then I pore it into a medicine bottle and then extract it with a needless syringe. I put three drops on the bigger dogs and two on the medium and one on the smaller dogs. Cats also need to be done.

Do all of them at once. The fleas in the house should die too along with the fleas on the critters. The fleas are usually dead within an hour. I found out this trick from an ebay seller. I can use one tube to do all 7 of my dogs and 5 cats. I treat them every month and a half the same way every time. I never see fleas at all. Before I started doing it this way I had a horrible flea problem. They were eating me too..LOL. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240 Flag

Vacuum all the time and put a flea collar in your vacuum. Also when you wash your hair, use dawn and leave it on about 10 minutes then use a conditioner after you rinse your hair. Use a flea comb to get them out of your hair.

Now sprinkle salt and baking soda all over everywhere and let it sit. Some people use borax. I like the salt it is safer and the baking soda freshens the carpet. I have put them under the fitted sheet on the bed, under covers on the couch, all on the floor. I use frontline spray on the dogs, and then I would do what the last poster says for the cats. I would not use dog topical flea treatment on the cats, it could kill them, but it is such a good idea for the dogs though! Go to earthclinic.com for flea control ideas, but don't do some of their radical treatments like peroxide inhaling.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ninamccampbell 1 4 Flag

Rule of thumb, flea eggs hatch every two weeks. Vacuum every day, empty the bag,container every time you vacuum, do not wash dogs with flea shampoo, or a shampoo with detergent - use a non detergent shampoo, so when you put a flea application on your dog, it doesn't wash off. Also, something to remember - Advantage can be used on your dog/dogs every week until infestation has been killed, or frontline every two weeks. Or, in some cases, you can alternate. That is expensive, but that is really the only way to get rid of them. Also, the piles of clothes need to be picked up. They are adding to the problem. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs in my house and this is the only thing that works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kelly 3 Flag

First I would buy two cans of KnockOut. It kills the flea larva as well as the fleas. The flea larva will start crawling and looking for places to hide and pupate. The KnockOut is a bit pricey, but works wonders. (Once you have a handle on this, use the knockout lightly for preventative measures.)

Remove the kids and animals then spray the infested areas. Wait at least an hour then shake the clothes out (lightly) and start doing laundry. If there is "blood spots" on the clothing from the animals licking at the fleas, treat the fabric with a spray bottle filled with peroxide to get the blood out before laundering. (Peroxide is a staple in my house for blood removal during menstrual cycles!)

Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Dispose of the bags in tightly sealed plastic shopping bags and put in the outside trash. (A shot of KnockOut in the can wouldn't hurt.)

I buy the big pump bottles of FrontLine at Economy Price to treat the animals. Use 1 - 2 pumps per pound of body weight, depending on the thickness of hair. If you can ruffle the hair backwards as you spray, it helps get deep to the fleas. Do not get it in their eyes or on their genitals. It will spread out on it's own in time. Be sure to wear plastic gloves.

Also if they have been infested with fleas, you will need to purchase tape-worm medicine! Your vet will tell you the dosage of the pills. I would also recommend asking the vet for an economy size liquid medicine that will treat three other kinds of worms.

Hope this helps! Been there, done that! Preventative treatment from now on in my house. And I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of who got what meds. I care for a lot of homeless animals. This helps me a lot.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Guare 1 Flag

I beat an infestation of fleas in Florida with Borax. I used a jar with nail holes in the lid to sprinkle it. It sifts through the carpets and some of it stays, even after vacuuming, where it will kill the emerging fleas. It does not harm kids or pets, and as a bonus it's a good deodorizer. Use it every night after the kids are in bed, and vacuum in the morning. (If you have five kids, some of them must be old enough to help with this.) You can add bay leaves and whole cloves to the mix to add a nice scent, if you like.

You may want to treat the outside of your house with a chemical spray. But all of this is useless if you can't get them off your pets; you have to tackle all of it at once. The vets have a preparation called Capstan which will instantly kill all fleas on an animal; it is not a preventive but may work just to get you started on the problem. You really need your vet's advice on the best way to proceed; once you have a plan, if it's cheaper to buy the products at the store go for it! Also, be absolutely certain that you do not use a dog flea preparation on a cat; it can and will kill the cat.

Side note: I, personally, have never heard of fleas living on someone's head. Fleas bite and jump off. Are you sure they are not headlice?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jim 6 Flag

16. Walk through a room wearing white socks to detect fleas. Dark fleas jumping on the white background are easily seen.

17. Use banana peels to repel fleas.

18. Feed yeast to dogs to repel fleas.

19. Fleas hate Stash Earl Grey. Tear open a few bags, scatter the tea about on your carpet and vacuum up in a few days.

20. For flea control, add a little vinegar to your pet's drinking water to fight fleas and mange.

21. For flea control add ½ teaspoon to the wash water or a few drops to the pet's shampoo.

22. Suspend a light bulb over a pan of oil or soapy water to attract and drown fleas during the night.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

About 2 cups of dry 20 mule team Borax for average size carpeted room. Sift over carpet. Leave for 2 weeks to get larvae eggs and adults. only then can you vacuum. You will not have fleas in your house for over a year. Your yard has to be done, as well as your bathing animals. When there is a severe problem and the dogs can't stop itching, I give in to using sevin dust.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Wow, you're in for a big job! I recently moved to a new apartment that's only about 700 square ft and it turned out the tenants before me had an indoor outdoor cat and sadly the landlords didn't spray after they left. Within six weeks I was totally infested and my poor eight year old indoor cat who had never had fleas was going crazy!

While waiting for pest control to come spray (a week) I used Frontline on her. That helped her a lot but fleas were everywhere. Anyway, night before the spraying a neighbor came and helped me give her a good bath (dish soap only) and whisked her away to his apartment for the night. Then I shook out all area rugs and bedding, thoroughly dusted from top to bottom, then vacuumed everything including under cushions (leaving them in a standing up position), all the floor boards even in the bathroom and kitchen. Placed all dirty laundry in a large plastic bag. Went to bed.

Next morning, just to be safe, placed all loose food on the counters into the fridge or empty dishwasher, lifted up the bed skirt, opened all closet doors and linen cabinets, made sure all windows were closed, placed the area rugs back down and waited. When he got here I let him know I was worried about areas where I am not physically able to move them for vacuuming. He slightly moved them out so I could push them back. He ended up spraying under the bed, closet floors, behind the large furniture and under the cushions, along all carpet and linoleum edges and, of course the carpeting. He also sprayed around my patio and entryway. Had to stay away for four hours and then air out well for an hour.

Anyway, a couple rogue fleas got on Rachel when I brought her back home and more eggs dropped for a couple of days but by the third day no more fleas and no more flea eggs! (It sometimes takes up to three days for the fleas to die)

As large as your house is and for the amount of pets you have you need volunteers to help, and I hope you spend the money for a pest company because they are the only ones who can get their hands on the safe for you and your pets chemicals that will do the job first time out. It kills not only the fleas but also the eggs, pupae and larvae.

And, for a little wink and a smile, tell your kids they're helping and that they no longer can leave dirty clothes in piles on the floor ;-)

Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By christine moses 3 13 Flag

I have tried all the suggestions listed, nothing worked. My groomer told me about Adams Spray at Wal-Mart. You can spray dogs, kids, cats, clothes, and it worked! Repeat every few days though.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michelle Landreth 17 67 Flag

Plain old rubbing alcohol. Spray everything. It kills on contact.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nan Corpe 7 290 Flag

You need to (1) get some Capstar for all your animals which will remove all of the fleas right away. Then toss out all the stuffed animals which they are probably living in. (2) Treat your yard, every inch, and spray your house (I use Raid Flea Spray and keep it on hand). (3) Treat your animals again with something from the vet like Comfortis, Advantix, etc. (4) Your kids MUST not leave clothes all over the floor. You are creating too much habitat for the fleas.

I have 3 dogs and a cat and I live in FL where fleas are a real problem. I bathe my animals with Neem shampoo and I treat them with a topical or an oral treatment. I also have the yard treated and I wash their beds when they get their bath. A good suggestion for you would be to get your pets Kuranda beds which have legs to stand a few inches off the ground and can be hosed off. They come in various sizes and they are good quality and reasonably priced.

After the first time, it shouldn't be so hard every month, but keep the clothes off the floor and try to get the kids to help. Good luck~

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KURT GEIGER 1 Flag

I agree with the suggestions to sprinkle Borax on the rugs. It is a close relative to boric acid, which is deadly to insects, but about as toxic to humans as aspirin. Keep in mindthough, that if you have babies crawling on your rugs, this would not be a good idea. Pets will also get this on their feet and lick it off.

Common sense will go a long way toward keeping everyone in the house safe. I would suggest using boric acid instead of Borax, which is available online at guardianofeden.com. I bought 6lb for about $25 which included shipping. Their packaging goes up to 50lb. Wearing a particle respirator when spreading the stuff on your carpet and when vacuuming is a must. Use high filtration vacuum bags, and discard immediately while still wearing the respirator. It is possible to poison oneself and loved ones with this stuff, so use some common sense. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KAS 1 5 Flag

There are so many good answers here, but it boils down to: Don't allow pets outside (even cats).

If they have to go potty, make sure your yard and your neighbor's is sprayed for fleas at least 2 times a year (3 is better). If you spray your own, it costs about $10. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's for. When doing yours, do your neighbor's, too. Fleas jump about 15 feet or more and can come in via other people. If your friends have fleas, you will. They can come in on clothes and shoes. You can't be lazy about fleas The first scratch by a pet, you'd better be digging in to find it. Period.

5 kids? You are busy. Now, 5 pets and hundreds of thousands of fleas added to the mix and you are really busy! You have to do what is said here, and you have to do it all in one day. Within a few hours you have to have a "team" of people to help you and get it done. If you don't do it all at once, within a few hours, you will never cure your problem. Just like some others said here.

Take the pets to a groomer. Better yet to a veterinary clinic. They will need to be checked for worms too, which means the kids can catch worms, too. Let them know the problem before you get there. Ask them to keep the pets for the day, and groom and de-flea. Flea infestations cause worms in pets and humans. I didn't say this was going to be cheap! If you want cheap, then ask friends to help you. Take the pets to their homes, and have them bathe and groom with groomer recommended flea products. If it is that bad they probably need a real groomer and nails clipped, etc.

Do the yard first, on a day it isn't raining or snowing. 8 hours later you can water the lawn, and wash it into the ground. It will help kill fleas there. In 10 days you should do the lawns again, because flea eggs hatch! New fleas may also appear, so kill them. Then bug bomb the house, garage, and porches.

Be careful of plants and fish tanks (turn the pumps off and cover fish tanks completely). Take birds outside, or put them in the garage. And do the garage last after things have been moved inside. Take all clothes with you to the laundromat, after spraying lawn and starting bug bombs inside. Don't skimp, buy enough bug bombs!

Know when you return to air the house out that you will need a team to help you clean up. You will be washing dishes, cleaning floors, washing down bathrooms, tile, tub, and sinks. You also may have to clean windows, as it will probably film them up a little.

Carpet; hopefully it can be saved. And hopefully the bug bombs will save your carpets, too. If not, you will be replacing them. Maybe get tile? Then you can be lazy about it somewhat. And get some of the stuff you sprinkle on carpets for fleas. Just sprinkle some and sweep it up.

Know that you will be sweeping under furniture, behind fridge and stoves, move everything. Beds need to be cleaned under, linens will have to be changed, and you may want to even take down curtains and laundry those after you air out the house. Fleas lay eggs everywhere!

You should change your furnace filter after bug bombing. Do not turn on furnace or a/c until you change the filter first. Fleas go everywhere and they may have gotten into the filters too. Oh and by the way, turn off a/c and furnace before you bug bomb.

Have your team clean all toys and put them away, wash all stuffed animals that can be washed and throw the rest away. Turn all electronics off and pull the plugs. Cover them with a sheet or you may regret it.

When washing laundry you may try the borax laundry soap, too. It won't hurt.

Since you have a huge flea problem, 5 kids, and lots of pets, I usually discourage the use of Front Line for any pets but, I think you need it. I do not like to use any topical treatments on my pets. I never have and never will.

But emergencies are different, and you have an emergency. So I would get it, and after they are groomed have the groomer or vet put it on them before you take them home.

Tables and cooking surfaces must be cleaned really well. You will need to take out silverware, cookware, etc. and clean it all again. Good time to clean cupboards and put down new paper, etc.

Now, know that in 10 days you are going to need to do all of the above again. Pets can go to someone to be groomed, so stay there again until the house is ready to come back to.

Oh, and on pets, make sure their beds are in the washer. Use hot water and run through the wash 2 times, then dry. You will want to buy a bug spray to use on the pet beds. Check out the pet stores for that, or ask Vets or groomers.

Combs, brushes, etc. all should be cleaned up of all hair, and if possible put them in the dishwasher and run it. It will disinfect them, and hot water kill anything on them.

Also, ask the Vet what they would recommend for a de-wormer for all pets. They may give it to them while they are there. Usually you give a dose and then follow up in 3 wks.

Good luck. I am itching just thinking about fleas! Thank Goodness I keep on top of it.

PS. The picture of the dogs I put on here have never had fleas. The chihuahua is 13 yrs old! Tiki, Skeeter (Cavalier), and Fancee are rescue dogs.

I do the yard 3-4 times a yr. and never do I use Front Line. If I do the yard, I don't have to use a flea preventive on the dogs. I use dog baby shampoo on the dogs 2 times a month for grooming. That's it!

Living in FL, I bug bomb my house in spring and fall, just because of creepy crawly bugs anyway.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KAS 1 5 Flag

You also say spraying and bombing is expensive. lol

Yeah well let me know about Dr bills for kids getting worms from pets who ingested fleas! lol What about pets with worms? What about being ashamed of people not wanting to walk in your home, because they get attacked by fleas?

I can buy a 3 pack of bug/flea bomb at $1 store or Dollar general for about $5. Even on 4000 sq ft home. You would probably only spend $15 - $20 on bug bomb. Doing twice would cost tops $40. Losing your friends, paying for vet bills and doctor bills and grooming, costs how much?

Yeah, cheaper to bug bomb 3-4 times a year isn't it? Do the lawn too. That can be done for about $30 - $40 a year too.. tops.

By the way, you may want to pare down on pets. 5 kids are enough to care for. But that is none of my business, just thinking of your sanity and ease of cleaning and keeping up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By KAS 1 5 Flag

RE: Nothing Is Working To Get Rid Of The Fleas By chrissym15 (15) Profile Contact

*reply

Remember any chemical you use is not the best thing in the world for a pet or human. That is why I do not like using front line or anything else I dab on a pet to keep away flea's. Adam's is good, but it is harsh.

Anything anyone uses on a pet, and the pet scratches and digs at their skin. They are telling you it is harsh, and their skin hurts! Bath them right away, and don't use a human soap or another hard bug awy, type item. Get some baby puppy or cat shampoo, no tear etc. and bath them in that.

People you have to think. Do you want all those chemicals on pets and you if it is toxic? And it is toxic if it can kill flea's! A quick fix if you had to take a pet out on a walk, or to a pet park is a spray.

Then take them home and bath them in a baby or pet shampoo.

Do not use human soap or rinses on pets. They have a different PH value and needs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By nonahas3 1 Flag

Eucalyptus oil is poisonous to cats - do not use as a spray or otherwise around them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Nothing Is Working To Get Rid Of The Fleas

I have an 8 month old American bulldog with fleas from the neighbor's dog. Now they are in the house. I have tried the salt, Dawn, borax, flea dips, flea shampoo, monthly treatment the you put on their back of the neck, and flea bombs. Please tell me what else might works.

Melinda from Paragould, AR

Feedback:

RE: Nothing Is Working To Get Rid Of The Fleas

Go to the pet store and look for Adams (I think) flea spray, in the blue bottle. I used it on my dog when we had a bad flea infestation, and it worked when all of the other ones you mentioned didn't. Sadly, it's not organic, but if you follow the directions, it's not bad. (08/11/2008)

By GTIChick

There's a pill that you can get through the vet (somebody help me out, I can't remember the name of it) that you give your dog once a month and the fleas will stop living on your dog. Getting them out of your house is another problem, though. I'm sure that your vet would be glad to give you the best advice on getting rid of them. Good Luck. (08/11/2008)

By Susie

I have 4 dogs and I buy the brewers yeast mega tabs for them. They are outside in sandy soil all day and come in at night. They have never had a flea, they shed less and their coats are silky and soft because of the tablets. I get the tablets at www.Cherrybrook.Com. I get the mega tabs because they are big dogs and they get 1 tab per 25 pounds, I believe it is, and the tabs at Walmart you have to give them a lot more. They are smaller tabs. But I swear by this brewers yeast mega tabs. Good luck. (08/11/2008)

By ANDREA

I had flea problems in my house, got online and started searching for a safe way, found out that Borox sprinkled on furniture and carpet works, and it did, I would sprinkled it in the morning and vacuum everything when I got home from work.

Good Luck. (08/11/2008)

By Martha

There is also a pill called Capstar, works wonderfully for a short period of time. Starts working in 30 minutes and works for 4 hours I believe. My vet recommended Borax in the house and Over and Out for the yard. Both can be purchased at Walmart. According to my vet the Over and Out, which is a fire ant killer uses the same ingredients that Front Line uses. (08/12/2008)

By melissa08

We too had this problem with fleas. I spent hundreds of dollars on shampoos, flea spray, bombed the house. Nothing worked until I got the prescription stuff from the vet. I don't know if it is called Program or Promise or something like that, but it was the only thing that worked. The way it works is that when the fleas bite the dog it makes them sterile so they can't reproduce. I gave it to my dog for about six weeks until I was sure they were all dead. (08/12/2008)

By Phyllis B.

What we did was get a pie plate and fill with very soapy, sudsy water. Suspend a light over the water and turn off the lights. In the morning you will have hundreds of drowned fleas. Repeat until no fleas appear. Worked for us. Good luck. (08/12/2008)

By cjB.

There's a trick a dog breeder taught me years ago regarding controlling fleas outside. In her yard, she would sprinkle the granulated systemic rose bush fertilizer that kills sucking insects. It's something you sprinkle on the ground, the rain puts it into the soil, where the rose bush pulls it into it's system, then when the aphids or whatever eat the bush, it kills the bugs. I don't know how this equates to killing/controlling fleas outside in the yard, but she had loads of little long haired dogs and none of them had fleas.

Also, there's a vitamin/supplement you can get at the pet store, it's brewer's yeast plus garlic. Give them according to the dog's weight as directed. Once the flea bites the dog, it dies. However, I have heard that you shouldn't give garlic to dogs, so use your own discretion in that regard. (08/12/2008)

By Dog Lover

You definitely must take care of your yard too. Fleas will jump on your legs or clothing and you will track them into your home also. It isn't safe to try to squish fleas with your nails. Animals get worms by biting the fleas on their bodies. When you "pop" them, you spread their eggs which might hatch, and also get parts under your fingernails. If you mistakenly put your hands by your face or fail to remove any under the nail when washing, chances are that you might get worms too. I keep a small jar with about one inch of oil on my counter. If I happen to pick off a stray flea, I drop it in the oil where it will sink and die. this is a great way to get rid of stragglers. (08/13/2008)

By susanmajp

The most important thing you can do is vacuum everyday and when you vacuum, as soon as you're done, remove the vacuum bag and put it in a garbage bag and remove it from your house immediately. I know it's a bit expensive to use a new bag each day, but you'll only have to do this for about a week and the fleas will be gone. The pest control guy gave me that tip. It was the only way we got rid of them. I know how you feel, we went through this once before. No fun. (08/13/2008)

By Kacisierra

Get one of the bombs and bomb your house. You only have to be out of it for 2 hours. Go to the vet and ask for a pill for fleas. We had a dog, part Boxer part Pit Bull. She always got fleas really bad. The pills killed them the first time we gave it to her and she didn't get them the rest of the summer. And the bombs do work. (08/13/2008)

By Cora-Sue

This was in my ASPCA newsletter today:

"As the festive days of summer wane in many parts of the country, one little parasite keeps the party hopping in warm, humid areas where he reigns. With nearly 2,000 species and subspecies, the flea thrives at temperatures of 65 to 80 degrees and feeds on the blood of the unsuspecting-especially cats and dogs.

Fleas are hearty and nimble pests, and when searching for a host, they can jump up to two feet, 10,000 times in a row that adds up to the length of three football fields. They can also cause troublesome health problems in companion animals, such as anemia, skin allergies and tapeworms. These legendary leapers are tough to fight, but the ASPCA offers tips that will rub your pets the right way:

Know your enemy: Confirm your pet has fleas by identifying signs such as droppings or "flea dirt" in your pet's coat, excessive scratching and scabs. What goes around comes around: Treat all of your pets, not just those who show outward signs of infestation.

Shine on, pet parent: Thoroughly clean your house, including rugs, bedding and upholstery, and discard any used vacuum bags.

Honor and trim nature's gifts: Since fleas love long grass and shady outdoor spots, remember to treat and maintain your yard as carefully as your house.

Doctor knows best: Talk to your vet about choosing the right, species-specific treatment for your pet, such as a topical, liquid insecticide applied to the back of the neck. Never use products for dogs on cats, and vice versa. Also ask your vet to recommend products for treating your yard.

"Cats especially are extremely sensitive to insecticides, and pets can die from improper use of flea control products," says Dr. Steven Hansen, veterinary toxicologist and ASPCA Senior Vice President. "Just a few drops of concentrated permethrin, present in many spot-on treatments for dogs, can be lethal to cats."

To avoid accidents, pet parents should read all product labels and follow directions for proper use. For more information about flea prevention and pet health, please read our top ten medical tips. And enjoy an itch-free end of summer!"

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_newsalert081508#1
(08/14/2008)

By OhioGirl

I have worked at a vet for almost two years and I tell you that the only flea product I have seen getting a good efficacy is Revolution. Seriously. Ignore the Hartz, BioSpot, anything you can get at a pet store and go straight to the vet. Not only do storebought flea medications not work, but some also contain neurotoxins designed to kill bugs, but seriously risking your pet's health.

Revolution has had 99.9% approval with our clients and they come back to get the monthly dose quite often. Good luck. (08/15/2008)

By Ashley

You first have to get rid of the fleas outdoors, you can use a product by Maxide that rids all insects outside, you have to sprinkle on lawn (I use a colander) soak the lawn (rain is good) let it dry then you animal can go back outside. Ttreat your house next then treat your animal. I have found that a fabric softener sheet rubbed on my dog works great to rid of fleas. I tied one around her neck to keep them off. Try it. (05/28/2009)

By sjjohnson

Eucalyptus oil in water in a spray bottle will cure your cushions, sheets, rugs, etc. of the flea problem. It's nontoxic too. (07/09/2009)

By HilaryC

I have fleas in my house that I can't get rid of. I have used Borax, flea bombers, and vacuum at least twice daily. We have cats (outside) that have been treated with Advantage and are flea free. Does anybody have any other ideas?

By rosy red 29 from WV

Feedback:

I've sent this info to so many people you'd think I had told the world already, but I guess not.

1. You have to do all areas on the same day. Otherwise, all you're doing is chasing fleas.
  2. Get something like Seven dust for the yard. Put some in an old sock and shake it all over.

3. Apply Advantage to all the animals on the same day.
  4. Put all pet bedding in the washer and wash on hot.

5. Probably most important: Get a good fogger (I used VetKem) and be sure to have enough to cover your whole house. If you have an enclosed garage get one for it also. Follow directions on the fogger, take your animals with you, go for a drive for a couple of hours. The fogger needs to be one that has a residual effect. It will continue to kill fleas as they hatch. A knock-out spray is not good enough.

6. When you get home air the place out.

This should do it. If you keep flea protection on your pets all the time. (07/21/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Most store-bought bombers suck. Buy a quality bomber from your vet and also use a quality sprayer (also bought from a Vet) on your carpeting. Call around and ask the vet if they sell the really good spray that also kills flea eggs after they hatch. I've been in your place (with a totally infested house).

First off, take your toothbrushes and put them into your fridge and put your dishes in the oven (to keep chemicals off). Then go to your vet and ask for the flea carpet and upholstery spray that also kills flea eggs. Make sure you buy enough. You'll most likely need 2 spray bottles. Vacuum first because the vacuuming makes the flea eggs hatch, then spray (while wearing rubber gloves) all over your carpeting. Wash your draperies and either remove the upholstered furniture, or clean or spray it. Keep your kids outside while you're spraying and leave the house with everyone for the rest of the day (with the windows closed).

When you come back home, open the windows for an hour or more to air out your house before you guys enter. Keep your kids off the carpeting for at least 2 weeks (or more) and don't let them play on it or sit on the carpeting while watching TV or playing video games (have them sit on a chair).

With foggers, you need to repeat in 2 weeks because the don't kill eggs. The spray from the vet costs more, but it works andyou don't have to repeat it again, because it kills the eggs too. Also, it doesn't get all over your furniture and tables with chemicals like the foggers do. Make sure to wash your animals and put a flea killer on your animals or the house will be infested in no time all over again. I've been there, done that. And to top it off, I'm very allergic to fleas.

Many will balk about using these nasty chemicals, but if you've tried everything, this is the only thing you can do. I had a friend who had to get rid of all of her bedding and furniture then take all the clothes in the house to the Laundromat to get rid of them. As far as washing your clothes, sheets or bedding. Put them in the hot dryer for an extra 15 minutes after they're dry to kill fleas. Talk to the vet for complete directions. They've seen this problem on may occasions. I always say, first, try the natural approach and if that fails, you'll not have any choice, but to go with the chemicals.

The directions on the spray say to spray the vinyl and wood flooring too, but you can always wash it. First use the spray on the carpeting and the bottom part of the upholstered furniture. The fleas will try to go into the kitchen and if you have enough spray left over you can spray the flooring, but first do the carpeting. Get out of the house as fast as you can after spraying. If you have a respirator wear one. I go back and forth to a window, or step outside and take in a deep breath, then I hold my breath while I'm spraying. (07/21/2009)

By Cyinda

Read these two URL'S:

"Ask the Vet" from the Division of Humane Services: cchealth.org

The University of Kentucky College of Entomology: ca.uky.edu

They have more details about fleas and how to get rid of them. (07/22/2009)

By Cyinda

I have posted this somewhere else, but I do not remember where. I use the 100% all natural Diatomateous Earth, Food Grade. Food grade is extremely important. Dust outside and inside of your home, your dogs, cats and even you if you needed it. The animals can also eat it, because it is natural and safe.

Here is an informational page at the store I purchase from. At the time I was looking for another batch (about 3 weeks ago), they still had the best price. wolfcreekranch1.tripod

So please read up on this 100% all natural flea killer and protect these loving pets from the pesky pets without chemicals. Rose (07/23/2009)

By pogrl06

Plain ole rubbing alcohol will do the trick. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray everything. It kills fleas on contact. Cheap, fast, and economical. (07/24/2009)

By Bama_Jypsy1

Call in an exterminator. (07/24/2009)

By mulberry204

I read one time that you could put a bowl of water at a nite-lite at night and the fleas would go for the light and fall into the water. Good Luck. (07/24/2009)

By grannygirl

I think an exterminator might be needed, but take a last shot with lice spray. It might work and they should die on contact. (07/24/2009)

By damaged05170

The most important thing is that the spray, bomb etc. has and insect growth inhibitor. This stops the egg/flea cycle. Good luck. (07/25/2009)

By Merlene

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats and no fleas in my house. I use Revolution flea control on my animals and also put 6 mothballs in my vacuum bag. Mothballs kill fleas before they escape the vacuum bag and back into your carpet. Do not leave mothballs laying about your house as they are poisonous to animals. (07/31/2009)

By Lorraina

How to get rid of fleas from your home without paying the exterminator costs. I adopted 2 cats that had a major flea problem, my house became infested with fleas and when I called the exterminator they said they would charge $400 to get rid of the problem. I found out some cheaper alternatives to get rid of my problem and they worked really well.

You will need:

• A vacuum cleaner that has bag- Bag-less vacuums won't work for this
  • At least 2 vacuum bags
  • 2 flea collars
  • 1 Gallon of Zep Ready To Use Flea Spray FSH-128 with sprayer nozzle or any home flea spray that has the chemical Permethrin in it.
    This comes already mixed and does not need to be diluted and can be found at most hardware stores for under $15
  • 1 bottle of PineSol- any scent will do.
This is about a 2 week process depending on your home size, but trust me this really works. First, move your children and pets out of the room in which you are working. Then you will need to wash all of your clothes with a cap full of PineSol added to your water, this is to kill off any pests that may be in your clothes or bedding.

Second, place a flea collar into one of your new vacuum bags and vacuum any surface you can- the flea collar will kill whatever fleas that wind up in the bag.

Third, spray your rooms down with the gallon of spray, let dry for about an hour. Don't go overboard.
Then, vacuum again after the carpets and surfaces are dry. You will need to vacuum and spray at least twice daily, and it is work, but you will reclaim your house back.

When vacuum cleaner is not in use place it in a room that you are treating until the next use. I would suggest changing the vacuum bags every 4 days or so. Be sure to place the vacuum bag into an air-tight container or bag before throwing out.

There are traps that work at night as well that won't break the bank. They are usually found at hardware stores and cost around $10. They are called overnight flea trap nite light. They are handy to have and really do work.

Be sure to bathe your pets with flea and tick shampoo during this process and keep them in fresh flea collars. (09/15/2009)

By Laura06378

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Pets FleasSeptember 18, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Getting Rid of Fleas
A wall with fleas in it.
Fleas Inside of Walls
Man scratching his head.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:14:22 PM on 10.0.0.183 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings