Starting Geraniums from Slips

Here are some suggestions on how to root geranium slips to avoid rotting. Post your own techniques below.

Allow Cutting To Seal

When rooting geraniums: break off (or cut off with a sterilized knife at a 45 degree angle) just under a leaf joint. Let it sit for 3 hours to let the tip dry and seal itself off, very important! Then put in a glass of water and wait for 2 - 3 weeks for roots to develop.

Or, let it sit to dry and then dip in water to barely wet tip and then into rooting hormone and then plant in moist sterilized soil.

By Valleyrimgirl

Watch Water Levels

Geraniums don't like much water. Plant them in sandy soil in pots. Keep in the shade, and when they seem to have new leaves and growing, put them in the sun, with a little shade part of the day.

Nora

Put Piece With Mama Plant

I've always just broke a piece off and stuck it back in the pot with the mama plant and left it until it was big enough to transplant. I very seldom fertitlize mine and they seem to bloom all the time. They were even blooming one year when we had snow. They stay in the sun most of the time and they are beautiful. I live in the Florida Panhandle.

By Jay

Get Flower, Leaves And Stem

I just break off a piece with flowers, leaves and stem, plant it in a pot, water, and voila!, it grows. Geraniums are so hearty they are hard to kill. I have a geranium from my grandmother's house from thirty years ago and from my mom's house ten years ago. They are doing great. I have taken pieces from them both and planted in smaller pots placed up and down my front steps. Looks great. I say try what you want to do and see for yourself.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Home and Garden Gardening RootingMarch 29, 2007
overwintering geraniums
Overwintering Geraniums
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Growing Geranium From Seeds
Growing Geraniums From Seeds
Closeup of Salmon Queen Geranium
Growing Geraniums
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 3:59:01 PM on 10.0.2.209 in 878 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.