Preventing Slips and Falls in a Bathtub and Shower

Category Bathroom
Anyone can be hurt by slipping while getting in or out of the bath. This page is about preventing slips and falls in a bathtub and shower.

I love a tub bath, however, getting out of the tub can be kind of tricky for an old lady like me especially when the tub is slippery. I have found that placing a towel down in the tub before getting up makes it much easier. It keeps me from slipping and I have no fear of falling.

While standing in the tub on the towel, I dry myself off then turn around and wipe down the tile and around the tub. When I get out of the tub, I'm dry and so is the bathroom.

When my husband needed to start using a long shower chair, the kind that is halfway out of the tub, we needed to come up with a way to keep the water inside the tub. I put up two shower curtains, side by side, so there is plenty of plastic and he sits on part of one curtain to make sure it is secure.

This has worked very well to keep the floor dry.

I slipped in the shower this morning! I fell right over the lip on the edge and smacked down hard on my left side. I pulled the shower curtain right down with me! Not the best way to start off my day to say the least. Anyhow, if anyone could offer me some assistance on stopping this mishap from happening again I'd be forever thankful. Please and thank you.

By edward1956 from Tacoma, WA

Answers

I typed in the words make bathtub non-slip in Google and looked at some different sites. Out of the ones I looked at, the link to the web site below seems to be the best. It looks like just what you need. I hope this helps so you don't end up hurting yourself!

www.slipperytile.com/make-bathtub-non-slip

You're a life saver! Yeah, I'll be okay. I just don't want to slip again I'm going to order this stuff ASAP. Thanks!
Ed

Besides a no slip mat have a handicap bar installed professionally on a wall inside the shower stall nearest where you usually walk in or out of the shower. It might be a little costly but a lot less costly than a trip to the emergency room. If you rent then request one installed from your landlord in writing. As far as I know there are laws that require the landlord to do so upon request; my landlord installed one when I requested one. It's also in their best interest because if you requested one and they didn't do it and you slipped again they would be held legally liable.

In case you are still wondering, the landlord cannot refuse. It is covered under the American's with Disabilities Act of 1961. Bars and such can be literally lifesavers so yes, do ask.

Also, installing shower doors can fall under the request obligation too. They are safer than curtains, as when you grabbed for something, you might have been able to grab onto a bar and not a curtain.

I too have a lot of trouble in tubs and bathrooms. Here is something I submitted that might help too. Put a five gallon bucket upside down in the tub and set it cushion on it. I had an inflatable donut ring that worked great. Nothing gets hurt when it gets wet, and you can sit and shower. I hope that helps.

Sorry to hear about your "shower fall" wet floors are so easy to slip on. Depending on your financial circumstances you can install "handrails" on each side of the recess and certainly replace the curtains with "sliding doors" and you can buy a professionally made secure "non-slip" shower chair.

Under no circumstances would I ever consider sitting on an ordinary house bucket with anything on top of it. They are not skid safe on wet floors. Good luck.

I went to the Johnny Grip site and it lists quite a few surfaces it CANNOT be used on. You have probably checked that out but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Sorry about your fall. Where I live we have bars side and end of tub and that is a great help, but to make it even safer I place towel in the bathtub. When I'm ready to get out I hang onto the bars, and with my feet scoot the towel to the end of the tub.

Then I hold on to the the end bar and step out of the tub onto a non skid bath mat. To help even further I place terry cloth slippers beside the mat, insert my feet then I don't slip on the tile.

Place an old towel on the bathtub floor, the wet towel will not slip...wring it out and clean the shower after then hang on the shower rod to dry.

How do you make a textured tub non-slip?

By Amanda from MI

Answers

Making your own non-slip tub mat. Rubberized shelf liner is perfect, or you can purchase strips of rubber matting at a home improvement store. The rubber doesn't have to be thick, since rubber of most any thickness will give a no-slip surface. The rubber can be cut into the general shape of the bottom of the tub, with no further hassle. Good luck.

Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomMay 12, 2013
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Preventing-Slips-and-Falls-in-a-Bathtub-and-Shower.html