Dandelion Greens

Has anyone ever used dandelion greens in salad or other recipes?

By Raelene from Clarksville, TN

Dandelions should be used before they blossom, as they become bitter after that time. Cut off the roots. Pick the greens over carefully and wash them well in several waters. Place them in a kettle. They can have a bitter taste so folks use vinegar to kill the bitter taste.

Dandelion greens are very nutritious, and so good, you can buy seeds to grow special varieties. They are very good. Pick them before they blossom, and wash very well in several changes of water. Break them up, and put them in salads, or cook them like you would spinach. They are good mixed with other greens, or cooked in other dishes that call for greens. They are a little bitter, but I like that.

We grew up on a farm and my grandmother used to use them all the time... raw, steamed, boiled, etc. I was a child the first time I tasted them (raw) and I was not too fond of them (they were bitter). Years later (as an adult), I tried them (also, raw) and they weren't too bad. Reminded me a little of arugula. As mentioned, dandelion greens are quite nutritious and versatile. You can use them the same way you do fresh spinach or any other, wild green.

I also forgot to mention, many people also use the flower, itself, for food. The most popular way I've heard to prepare the flowers are to wash, dry thoroughly and dip in deep-fry batter (you can make your own), then fry. Never tried them, but I hear they're pretty good.

During the depression my mother and I (I was about 7) would go out to the country area and pick dandelions. My father would stop the car on the main road. At home they would be thoroughly washed and she would make them with hot bacon dressing. Naturally this is before fertilizers etc. This brings back memories of 75 years ago. I believe she also ate them when she was a child in Croatia.