Golden Pumpkin Soup

This recipe is very old and originated, (I believe) in the mountains of New Zealand. It was introduced to our family by an exchange student from that country while he was living with our next door neighbors and studying in the USA. He was quite a cook for a teenage boy and I was so surprised how well we could work together in the kitchen. He'd been taught by his mother and grandmother just as I was by mine and it was fun to share stories of culinary favorites and adventures.

Pumpkin is excellent for you. It has no cholesterol, it is low in fat and sodium and rich in vitamins, in particular beta carotene and vitamin A. On top of being good for your health, it tastes good too. That's why it is part of the diet in almost every country in the world.

• 2 (15-16 oz.) cans plain pureed pumpkin (not pie mix)
  • 6 Tbsp. Butter, divided
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
  • 4 Tbsp. flour
  • freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (about 1/2 tsp. to start)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 egg yolk (optional)
  • homemade croutons

Directions:

Cook onion in 2 Tbsp. butter for 10 minutes over a low stove setting, stirring frequently. Set aside.

Melt remaining 4 Tbsp. butter in large pot and stir in flour. Allow to cook slightly, then add milk, water, pumpkin, and cooked onion stirring until well blended. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Simmer 20-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated through. If the egg is desired take out a little soup, blend with the beaten egg yolk, and stir back into the soup mixture just before serving.

Ladle into bowls, top with homemade, pan-toasted croutons and serve.

Servings: 6-8
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
40 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Our young friend Chester from New Zealand who is now a very young 40 year-old father himself.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

What would the egg be for? A thickener maybe?

Thank you for posting this, I can't wait to try it! Our local Souper Salad has the best 'Pumpkin Bisque' I ever ate, but the owner won't share the recipe. As a recently diagnose diabetic, I have to be careful what I eat, so when I was there recently I asked if they could give me an idea of what was in it so I would know if I could eat it. He showed me a list of ingredients that were similar to your recipe except it had leeks instead of onions, heavy cream & a large amount of potatoes, which really spike my blood sugar, so I can't eat much of it now.

Your recipe sounds a lot healthier & delicious!

Hello LyonprideJ,

I'm really not sure other than perhaps for as you suggested a "thickener" perhaps, or possibly further enrichment only. I've never added it, but I do like to add a tiny pinch of the pumpkin pie spice.

The half teaspoon of nutmeg is definitely a must, but just add about 1/8 tsp of the pumpkin pie spice in addition to the nutmeg and see what you think. It has just a hint of cloves and ginger that is nice.

I've thought about changing the nutmeg to ginger one day and see what happens, but haven't done that yet.

I was happy to have the recipe for pumpkin soup because my family does love pumpkin pie, and pumpkin has many nutritious benefits and it's a shame not to use it more than just at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I will sometimes add a cup of the canned pumpkin to each loaf of my braided yeast bread along with pumpkin pie spices, and that goes over very well, and I have started making my pumpkin Tea Breads with Raisins much more often now for the same reasons. The beta carotene alone makes it a wonderful choice.

Pumpkin can be mixed with applesauce when making tea breads too, with or without nuts and/or raisins.

Just so many good foods out there waiting for us to work with to keep our families happy and well-fed. The good ones don't cost anymore and they don't take anymore time to prepare either.

Let me know what you think when you have a chance. I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks so much for the lovely feedback.

All the best,

Pookarina

You haven't steered me wrong yet Pookarina, so I'll definitely give this a try although I must say it's going to be a bit different than the way we usually get our pumpkin fix. LOL

I have to say it does sound easy and good.

Thanks.

ww

The only ways I've ever eaten pumpkin was in a quick bread and in pumpkin pie. This sounds so good and I'm very tempted to make the soup. I'm hoping my husband likes the sound of it too.

Thanks Pookarina.

MisMachado

Photo of pumpkin soup.
Pumpkin Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SoupsJune 25, 2010
Golden Birthday Party
Golden Birthday Party Ideas
Golden Birthday Invitation
Golden Birthday Invitation Ideas
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
🎉
🎄