Getting Rid of Fleas Naturally

Whether they are in your home, on your pet, or in your yard fleas are a nuisance to have around. Killing them without toxic chemicals is possible and affordable. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas naturally.

August 12, 2005 Flag

I had feral kittens dying from a flea infestation. They were too young for treatment with commercial remedies, and tea tree oil can KILL cats at any age. As a nurse, we once had a patient who had head lice infestation that we couldn't rid of with prescription treatments. The CDC recommended olive oil left in for 4 hours and then washed out, so I decided to try it for these little (less than 3 week old) kits.

I soaked them, taking care to avoid eye and mouth areas, with the olive oil and left it on. Their mom licked them clean and not a flea since. I recommend treating moms with worming medication after treatment since fleas ingested result in worms. And I would re-treat in 7 days or any time the fleas reappear. I don't recommend ANY essential oils (tea tree, cedar, peppermint, etc.) as they can kill any small critter.

By Creeksend

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 16 Comments

December 4, 2009 Flag

Isn't it pitiful for your pet to scratch and whine, and not even be able to catch a good snooze, because fleas are tormenting him or her? Meanwhile, you are torn between watching them suffer, or taking a chance on doing more harm than good by using chemicals or medicines you don't really feel good about using.

I have a very old, blind, infirm Eskimo Spitz who I love dearly, and would be afraid to use any sort of medication or chemical on, or in, because his system is delicate now and his skin is also tender from age. I have been using this method on him, and he is just fine. I think you will love my solution:

If your pet has really thick or matted fur, or has scratched until she or he has sores, you should probably trim it back as close as possible the first time with just some scissors, so the skin can get plenty of air to help the healing process. Then go to Dollar General; they have lice killing shampoo in two-bottle packages for around $8.00. It contains pyrethrins, a natural insecticide derived from chrysanthemums, and is safe enough for small children, obviously.

Bathe your pet by diluting the shampoo a tiny bit and rubbing it deeply into her fur and skin, for several minutes, just a nice, slow all-over massage (ears too). Then submerse her into a medium amount of warm water. Rinse her off, and do not rinse her again. This will not only kill the fleas, it will keep them off for several weeks.

You can also use the garden center variety of liquid intended to spray for aphids on roses (which is also pyrethrins) in the washer for laundering her bedding and in your carpet shampooer to rid your home of the fleas.

I know this will help her, and you, feel better and you can get back to doing what you do best: lovin' that furry baby!

By dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

November 12, 2008 Flag

Does your dog or cat have a flea problem? Many commercially available flea remedies contain synthetic pesticides like organophosphates and carbamares. This includes common sprays, powders, rinses, lotions, and those dreaded flimsy white collars that keep your pet's head immersed in a constant cloud of toxins. Read the label. It will tell you to avoid getting these products on your skin, yet tell you cover your pet's skin thoroughly! So instead of running to the pet store, here are 5 safe and effective remedies to cure flea infestations organically.
  1. Herbal Shampoos: These can be used once a week, but not so often they dry out your pet's skin. Keep in mind that once your pet is wet, fleas will quickly move to higher ground. For this reason, it's wise to create a "shampoo ring" around your pet's neck before wetting the rest of their body so fleas cannot escape to their head. Shampoos containing pine cedar, bergamot, rosemary, lavender, eucalyptus, citronella, rose, juniper, or geranium are all effective. Certain strong-smelling herbs (citrus, rosemary, cloves, pennyroyal, lemongrass, rue) are considered cat repellents and should only be used on dogs. Comb your pet daily with a flea comb between shampoos to stimulate the skin's natural oils.
  2. Beneficial Nematodes: This outdoor treatment is usually associated with controlling certain garden insects, but these micro-organisms eat flea larvae, too. Look for names like Fleabusters, Bio Flea Halt! And Interrupt! To apply, follow label directions carefully.
  3. Team Borax: Sprinkle borax laundry detergent over carpet and furniture (work it into your carpet until you don't see any residue by "skating" over it with your shoes). The detergent works by dehydrating the adult fleas and the larvae. If necessary, repeat every three months during flea season to keep fleas away. Baking soda will also work in a similar way.
  4. Diatomaceous Earth: This works in the same way as detergent, by drying out adult fleas and their larvae. Use food grade diatomaceous earth. This can also be dusted on the animal's coat, but only sparingly, as it is very drying to their skin.
  5. Citrus Oil Rinse: Use this on dogs only. Cut up citrus peel into chucks (lemon, grapefruit, oranges) and simmer it in pan of water for 15 minutes. Cool completely. Pour over your dog's fur so it covers the skin thoroughly-paying close attention to areas that are hard for your pet to reach.

Other Flea Control Tips

Clean your house thoroughly. This means vacuuming furniture and rugs daily (especially pet areas), and washing pet bedding in hot water and drying it on high heat. Vacuuming alone can remove up to 30% of the larvae and up to 60% of flea eggs from carpet. Flea eggs can survive in vacuum cleaner bags, so when you're done vacuuming throw the bag out, or stick it in the freezer for a few hours before reattaching it.

Keep Your Pet Healthy. The absolute best way to avoid flea problems is to keep your pet healthy. Fleas will seldom take up residence on a dog or cat that has a healthy coat and skin, but on animals with dry, itchy skin, or hot spots it's a different story. Exercise your pets regularly, and feed them a high-quality pet food (your own cooking or an organic food is best) that contains whole vegetables and whole meats (not meat by-products). Avoid foods with added "meals" (corn, soy, etc.) or other fillers, or those that contain artificial colorings and preservatives, such as BHA and BHT, propyl, gallate, sodium nitrite, and ethoxyquin (a known pesticide).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

October 17, 2011 Flag

When I lived in OK, I lived in the country as it was less expensive. However, there were fields and woods in my neighborhood. Fields and woods means lots of wild animals; including deer and mice. I constantly had fleas and ticks and they were a nasty problem, for a while.

A dog lying on a green couch.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 5, 2013 Flag

Before bed, sprinkle salt along all baseboards and along floors around furniture. You can also do this before you leave the house for the day. Simply vacuum up after you have allowed it to sit over night or during a work day.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 7, 2011 Flag

The best and most economical flea prevention tip is the use of Food Grade DE (diatomaceous earth) powder. You can purchase it very cheaply, place in a shaker can, and sprinkle around your home.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 13, 2014 Flag

Our old cat sadly passed away. Every time the vacuum cleaner was switched on, he would appear. Yes, no cleaning would be done until he was done first He would turn over to vacuum each side with the pipe. He had no fleas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about using diatomaceous earth for fleas. Food grade diatomaceous earth is an flea killer that is non toxic to humans and animals.

A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2005 Flag

I use a fine tooth flea comb on my cats daily and never have any flea problems!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 17, 2012 Flag

I recently started to get bit. I didn't know if it was fleas or bed bugs because it was only in one room of the house until they started to spread. I have no pets so I have no idea where they are coming from. I need help. I have a two month old, so I don't want to use chemicals, but willing to try anything because I just killed two fleas in her baby crib. :[

By Fatima

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'd sprinkle salt, but leave it on for longer than a day before vacuuming it up. I also put about an inch of oil into a jar, walk around the room first thing in the morning (the fleas are hungry), pick them off of me, and put them in the jar where they drown in the oil. Do this several times during the day. You'll be surprised at how many you find. After a few weeks, they'll be gone. Unfortunately, you don't need pets to get fleas; they will often come in on you.

December 13, 2016 Flag

My German Shepherd dog just had puppies and she has fleas. I would like to know what can I give her so she won't be passing them to the puppies?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Front line advantage drops seem to work but if your worried about babies being to young for that type of treatment you can try vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle.

July 20, 2015 Flag

What can I use to get rid of fleas with a newborn baby in the house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not use Borax-it does kill fleas but does not kill flea eggs and, much more importantly, it harms babies and young children. The site below provides more information about Borax and also states not to use it around your house: Don't use this powder if you have small children (especially babies) or young pets (unless you keep them out the house for the day) as it can cause health complications due to their small body mass and close proximity to the ground. The site and more information:

http://www.theb … eas/borax-fleas/

If you are pregnant, please stay away from any Borate substance  this includes borax!.

Keep your cats away from the borax powder as it can cause terrible breathing problems and potential fatalities.

Make sure your carpets are not wet (even from humidity) as this can damage the fibers and cause discoloration.

Keep the borax powder away from food (especially if you have young children) as it is dangerous for consumption in large quantities. (more than 5mg) **UPDATE** I have recently been informed by a medical practitioner that anything around 5mg is still pretty safe (slightly higher toxicity then table salt). However, keep in mind that cats are rather sensitive to borax and as a result, just take it easy if you have one in the home.

Keep the borax away from your plants as it can cause damage to them.

NEVER put the borax powder directly onto pets, even if they have fleas. Borax is used to get rid of fleas in your home and using borax on dogs for fleas (as well as other pets) can be dangerous for their health!

Dont scatter borax powder for fleas around your home as a flea preventative because prolonged environmental contact can potentially cause health problems like skin irritation and other allergies. If in doubt, contact a health practitioner if you notice any adverse reactions after using borax in your home.

Don't use this powder if you have small children (especially babies) or young pets (unless you keep them out the house for the day) as it can cause health complications due to their small body mass and close proximity to the ground.

October 23, 2014 Flag

I recently moved in to an apartment that has fleas. I do not have any pets nor do I have carpets, its all hardwood floors. I am currently pregnant and have two small children so I would not like to use chemicals. Please help!

By Jessica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Works every time! Take a 9 x 13 in. pan and fill 2/3 with water and a couple of squirts of Dawn dish soap mixed in. Place on the floor with a desk lamp or a work light hanging over it. The fleas will jump in the pan and the dawn water will kill them. Do this every night until the fleas are all gone. You can do this in every room, or just move it each night.

One of our rental properties was loaded with fleas when we evicted the tenants, and this is how I got rid of them. You can also bomb the house. You can buy the bombs at any tractor supply store or even a pet store, but you have to leave the house for a couple of hours.

August 6, 2014 Flag

I need a remedy for fleas, with no money to buy anything. My dog has got fleas so bad, that when I gave him a bath he was actually bleeding from being bitten. Please help.

By FULLER

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fleas are killed by soapy water. Bathe your dog with blue Dawn dish soap. Also you might use a flea comb to help with this. The vet is always the best thing but you said you needed an inexpensive way. It won't be permanent but should help some.

May 16, 2012 Flag

Looking for a safe way to rid our trailer of fleas that won't be harmful to us or our little dog?
Thank you in advance for any and all helpful hints.

By Fazy from FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - be sure to give your dog a bath with Original Dawn dish soap to kill their "personal" fleas in addition to everything else you try. I have been told that flea eggs hatch everyday for 7-10 days so that is how long you will have to work on getting rid of them.

Don't forget the outside even if your dog is an "inside" dog as fleas are carried in on animals and people. Try to treat the area you use the most.

Look up flea control on Thrifty as there are lots of good suggestions.

Fleas are very bad for small animals and I even had to have a small dog given a blood transfusion years ago so this is something you will want to work on until they are gone - and then keep a weekly schedule as a preventive measure.

Someone mentioned using Seven Dust but I do not believe this available anymore as I have tried everywhere in Florida and the stores say they can no longer sell straight Seven Dust (either 5% or 10%). If someone finds it I sure would like to know if it is in the state of Florida! I loved it for plants and bug control.

October 19, 2012 Flag

Has anyone heard of using DE this way? I like the idea of using salt also. I do not think boric acid can really be called safe. I think the cat could get really sick from it.
The other product, diatomaceous comes from diatoms which I think comes from sea coral. Ground up it becomes silica which slices up the fleas and is safe for pets and humans.

By catfish hunter

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

DE works although it is a bit messy. It works wonders! I do not suggest salt if you have humid climate as you will have a wet mess. Yes it works, but you will notice the dampness on everything.

August 11, 2010 Flag

I have used Frontline on my dogs and cat. One dog almost died. I have used salt on the carpet and still have fleas. What can I do now?

By Becky from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to Avon and get skin so soft. When u give ur pets a bath put a cap full in ur water ..this works I know my dog it 20 yrs old no fleas ..do this once per month .u can put a cap full in a spray bottle spray it furniture and carpet its a oil don't use on slick floors

December 14, 2011 Flag

I really need to get rid of fleas on my cat. I am wondering if baking soda will help in the carpet and maybe on the cat.

By Karen K from Lowell, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not baking soda, but boric acid. Obviously do not put on your cat but you can sprinkle it in between furniture cushions, carpet areas the cat can't walk on, around baseboards. It has worked much better for me (and less expensive!) than flea treatments or exterminators.

Editor's Note: Boric acid is toxic to pets so use caution when treating household.

October 21, 2011 Flag

Should the salt be made into a powder before putting it on the carpet?

By Ann G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Salt should not be used at all on the carpet or furniture.

Think about it. Your pets (and children if you have any, especially little ones) will be walking, laying, playing and everything else on those carpets. No matter how well you vacuum there will still be salt in the fibers, which will get into their paws and fur (and onto children's hands and feet). Then the pets and children will be using those same paws, hands and feet to rub their eyes with from the irritation the salt has caused their eyes. It can be extremely painful and extremely dangerous to your pets and to your children.

The same thing goes for Borax. Either one can possibly cause blindness.

August 25, 2011 Flag

What can I put on my furniture to rid it of fleas? They are driving me nuts; I have used borax and diatomaceous earth. I need to use all natural because both my dog and I have allergies. Any help is greatly appreciated!

By sbobo from Tacoma, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not use frontline. It doesn't work on my dogs and cats and on many other peoples pets. They must have changed something in the formula.

Get one of the other vet topical treatments. Discuss this with the vet. Animals cost money and this is one of the areas not to scrimp on, for their sakes and yours.

Blessings, Robyn

July 13, 2013 Flag

Can I give my dog garlic pills?

By Dddjjj

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, garlic is toxic for dogs.

August 24, 2011 Flag

How can I rid my dogs of fleas without using chemicals?

Black dog in yard near a pink water tub.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 17, 2011
Products
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Dog Scratching at Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:11:21 AM on 10.0.0.148 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.