Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Fleas Naturally

Whether they are in your home, on your pet, or in your yard fleas are a nuisance to have around. Killing them without toxic chemicals is possible and affordable. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas naturally.

December 4, 2009 Flag

Isn't it pitiful for your pet to scratch and whine, and not even be able to catch a good snooze, because fleas are tormenting him or her? Meanwhile, you are torn between watching them suffer, or taking a chance on doing more harm than good by using chemicals or medicines you don't really feel good about using.

I have a very old, blind, infirm Eskimo Spitz who I love dearly, and would be afraid to use any sort of medication or chemical on, or in, because his system is delicate now and his skin is also tender from age. I have been using this method on him, and he is just fine. I think you will love my solution:

If your pet has really thick or matted fur, or has scratched until she or he has sores, you should probably trim it back as close as possible the first time with just some scissors, so the skin can get plenty of air to help the healing process. Then go to Dollar General; they have lice killing shampoo in two-bottle packages for around $8.00. It contains pyrethrins, a natural insecticide derived from chrysanthemums, and is safe enough for small children, obviously.

Bathe your pet by diluting the shampoo a tiny bit and rubbing it deeply into her fur and skin, for several minutes, just a nice, slow all-over massage (ears too). Then submerse her into a medium amount of warm water. Rinse her off, and do not rinse her again. This will not only kill the fleas, it will keep them off for several weeks.

You can also use the garden center variety of liquid intended to spray for aphids on roses (which is also pyrethrins) in the washer for laundering her bedding and in your carpet shampooer to rid your home of the fleas.

I know this will help her, and you, feel better and you can get back to doing what you do best: lovin' that furry baby!

By dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Some dogs and cats are sensitive to the shampoo ingredient, some are not. Here is a video describing what to look for and also do not use any sort of flea shampoo with pyrethrin if you are pregnant as it can cause autism, from what I read. On the other hand, I like to see people come up with things that work for them. I am glad this works for this old dog. Reactions can happen from chemical topical flea treatments too, as well as with other shampoos. I like to use the advantage but I know other dogs would die from it.

Here is a short video on pyrethrin and what it is, it is natural although, like the poster said, you have to repeat it, since it does not kill the eggs.

http://www.ehow  hampoo-dogs.html

Blessings, and thank you for the post and give your sweet old dog a hug from me!

Robyn

A close up of a flea.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Getting rid of fleas is dependent on not only killing adult fleas, but you may also need to retreat to killing hatchlings. This is a guide about, "What is the life cycle of a flea?".

A sad dog lying on a white floor.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

There is controversy over the safe use of garlic to treat a dog with fleas. This is a guide about, "Can I give my dog garlic pills for fleas?".

A dog biting at his fleas.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Olive oil is a great natural flea remedy. It is a great flea treatment for cats and small dogs. Learn more about olive oil for fleas in this guide.

A woman and her dog on a couch.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Salt is a inexpensive way to get rid of fleas in your house. Learn more about using salt to kill fleas in this guide.

Puppy and kitten.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Do you want to get rid of fleas without all the chemicals? This guide has 5 tips for organic flea control. Learn how to get rid of fleas naturally.

Before bed, sprinkle salt along all baseboards and along floors around furniture. You can also do this before you leave the house for the day. Simply vacuum up after you have allowed it to sit over night or during a work day.

Our old cat sadly passed away. Every time the vacuum cleaner was switched on, he would appear. Yes, no cleaning would be done until he was done first He would turn over to vacuum each side with the pipe. He had no fleas.

A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using diatomaceous earth for fleas. Food grade diatomaceous earth is an flea killer that is non toxic to humans and animals.

I use a fine tooth flea comb on my cats daily and never have any flea problems!

I recently started to get bit. I didn't know if it was fleas or bed bugs because it was only in one room of the house until they started to spread. I have no pets so I have no idea where they are coming from. I need help. I have a two month old, so I don't want to use chemicals, but willing to try anything because I just killed two fleas in her baby crib. :[

By Fatima

Best Answer

I'd sprinkle salt, but leave it on for longer than a day before vacuuming it up. I also put about an inch of oil into a jar, walk around the room first thing in the morning (the fleas are hungry), pick them off of me, and put them in the jar where they drown in the oil. Do this several times during the day. You'll be surprised at how many you find. After a few weeks, they'll be gone. Unfortunately, you don't need pets to get fleas; they will often come in on you.

December 13, 2016 Flag

My German Shepherd dog just had puppies and she has fleas. I would like to know what can I give her so she won't be passing them to the puppies?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Front line advantage drops seem to work but if your worried about babies being to young for that type of treatment you can try vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle.

August 24, 2011 Flag

How can I rid my dogs of fleas without using chemicals?

By Lucy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Mix the following and shampoo dog with it: 2 parts baby shampoo and 1 part Lemon Joy dish washing liquid. It has to be the lemon Joy. Received this info a few years ago from a vet blog. Tried it and it worked!

July 20, 2015 Flag

What can I use to get rid of fleas with a newborn baby in the house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not use Borax-it does kill fleas but does not kill flea eggs and, much more importantly, it harms babies and young children. The site below provides more information about Borax and also states not to use it around your house: Don't use this powder if you have small children (especially babies) or young pets (unless you keep them out the house for the day) as it can cause health complications due to their small body mass and close proximity to the ground. The site and more information:

http://www.theb  eas/borax-fleas/

If you are pregnant, please stay away from any Borate substance  this includes borax!.

Keep your cats away from the borax powder as it can cause terrible breathing problems and potential fatalities.

Make sure your carpets are not wet (even from humidity) as this can damage the fibers and cause discoloration.

Keep the borax powder away from food (especially if you have young children) as it is dangerous for consumption in large quantities. (more than 5mg) **UPDATE** I have recently been informed by a medical practitioner that anything around 5mg is still pretty safe (slightly higher toxicity then table salt). However, keep in mind that cats are rather sensitive to borax and as a result, just take it easy if you have one in the home.

Keep the borax away from your plants as it can cause damage to them.

NEVER put the borax powder directly onto pets, even if they have fleas. Borax is used to get rid of fleas in your home and using borax on dogs for fleas (as well as other pets) can be dangerous for their health!

Dont scatter borax powder for fleas around your home as a flea preventative because prolonged environmental contact can potentially cause health problems like skin irritation and other allergies. If in doubt, contact a health practitioner if you notice any adverse reactions after using borax in your home.

Don't use this powder if you have small children (especially babies) or young pets (unless you keep them out the house for the day) as it can cause health complications due to their small body mass and close proximity to the ground.

October 23, 2014 Flag

I recently moved in to an apartment that has fleas. I do not have any pets nor do I have carpets, its all hardwood floors. I am currently pregnant and have two small children so I would not like to use chemicals. Please help!

By Jessica

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Works every time! Take a 9 x 13 in. pan and fill 2/3 with water and a couple of squirts of Dawn dish soap mixed in. Place on the floor with a desk lamp or a work light hanging over it. The fleas will jump in the pan and the dawn water will kill them. Do this every night until the fleas are all gone. You can do this in every room, or just move it each night.

One of our rental properties was loaded with fleas when we evicted the tenants, and this is how I got rid of them. You can also bomb the house. You can buy the bombs at any tractor supply store or even a pet store, but you have to leave the house for a couple of hours.

I need a remedy for fleas, with no money to buy anything. My dog has got fleas so bad, that when I gave him a bath he was actually bleeding from being bitten. Please help.

By FULLER

Fleas are killed by soapy water. Bathe your dog with blue Dawn dish soap. Also you might use a flea comb to help with this. The vet is always the best thing but you said you needed an inexpensive way. It won't be permanent but should help some.

May 16, 2012 Flag

Looking for a safe way to rid our trailer of fleas that won't be harmful to us or our little dog?
Thank you in advance for any and all helpful hints.

By Fazy from FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - be sure to give your dog a bath with Original Dawn dish soap to kill their "personal" fleas in addition to everything else you try. I have been told that flea eggs hatch everyday for 7-10 days so that is how long you will have to work on getting rid of them.

Don't forget the outside even if your dog is an "inside" dog as fleas are carried in on animals and people. Try to treat the area you use the most.

Look up flea control on Thrifty as there are lots of good suggestions.

Fleas are very bad for small animals and I even had to have a small dog given a blood transfusion years ago so this is something you will want to work on until they are gone - and then keep a weekly schedule as a preventive measure.

Someone mentioned using Seven Dust but I do not believe this available anymore as I have tried everywhere in Florida and the stores say they can no longer sell straight Seven Dust (either 5% or 10%). If someone finds it I sure would like to know if it is in the state of Florida! I loved it for plants and bug control.

I have used Frontline on my dogs and cat. One dog almost died. I have used salt on the carpet and still have fleas. What can I do now?

By Becky from CA

Go to Avon and get skin so soft. When u give ur pets a bath put a cap full in ur water ..this works I know my dog it 20 yrs old no fleas ..do this once per month .u can put a cap full in a spray bottle spray it furniture and carpet its a oil don't use on slick floors

I really need to get rid of fleas on my cat. I am wondering if baking soda will help in the carpet and maybe on the cat.

By Karen K from Lowell, MI

Not baking soda, but boric acid. Obviously do not put on your cat but you can sprinkle it in between furniture cushions, carpet areas the cat can't walk on, around baseboards. It has worked much better for me (and less expensive!) than flea treatments or exterminators.

Editor's Note: Boric acid is toxic to pets so use caution when treating household.

August 25, 2011 Flag

What can I put on my furniture to rid it of fleas? They are driving me nuts; I have used borax and diatomaceous earth. I need to use all natural because both my dog and I have allergies. Any help is greatly appreciated!

By sbobo from Tacoma, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not use frontline. It doesn't work on my dogs and cats and on many other peoples pets. They must have changed something in the formula.

Get one of the other vet topical treatments. Discuss this with the vet. Animals cost money and this is one of the areas not to scrimp on, for their sakes and yours.

Blessings, Robyn

August 11, 2014 Flag

How do you get rid of fleas naturally?

By Joyce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a website www.deadbugsnaturally.com. 1-800-227-6616. It is called Diatect International. Supposedly, the way it works is that it is ground up sea shells and when it comes in contact with fleas, it breaks down the flea's outer shell or body. It is called "Results Flea and Tick Killer" I've never used it - just read about it. One thing that I would discuss with a vet before using it is that on the back of the container it says, "Hazards to humans and domestic animals" so I don't know why one would use it on a pet if it's considered hazardous. Anyway, something to check out with your vet.

Please help me. My dogs have never had fleas before. I think since the Houston drought and heat last year and heat and rain this year, the fleas are terrible. My whole subdivision is having problems.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 17, 2011
Products
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
A dog biting at his fleas.
Using Olive Oil for Fleas
Puppy and kitten.
5 Tips for Organic Flea Control
A sad dog lying on a white floor.
Can I Give My Dog Garlic Pills for Fleas?
A woman and her dog on a couch.
Using Salt to Prevent Fleas
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:04:45 PM on 10.0.0.245 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.