Make Oats Overnight

I want to feed my family whole grains and have found by experimenting that I can (wash first) one cup of oat groats and add 4 cups of water and cook the groats overnight (6 to 8 hrs) on low in my crock pot. They are ready in the morning. I have added raisins and other fruit and sometimes cinnamon to the groats while cooking. OR, one may add the fruit raw after cooking the groats. Easy and nutritious - and delicious!

By Billie from Melbourne, FL

Great tip! thanks so much. I am going to try that tonight! Blessings to you.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and we don't seem to have "groats"...can you please tell me what they are? Thanks...

The groats are the steel-cut oatmeal, correct? I like the steel-cut more than the rolled oats, but they take a while to cook on the stove top. Making them in a slow cooker makes it a lot easier. I've made grits in the slow cooker over night as well. I use the 5 minute grits...let them cook over night, and they are perfect in the morning.

Pardon my ignorance (I see I am not alone in it.) What in the world are Groats?

Groats are not the same as steel cut. Steel cut, as named are Cut. They are made to cook quicker than a whole groat. Glue the steel cut back together and you have the groat. It's the whole oat, hauled and ready to go. Dig in and enjoy - that's our family breakfast tomorrow. Yum.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreakfastJanuary 22, 2009
Food Left Out Overnight
Food Left Out Overnight
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Oatmeal Bread
Oatmeal Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
🎄
🍂