Piccadilly's Carrot Souffle

Does anyone else remember Piccadilly's Cafeterias? At one time, it was about my favorite place to eat. They had everything I liked, and I could pick and choose putting all the tiny dishes on my tray to suit myself. One of my most favorites was their wonderful carrot souffle which was basically a side dish, but was so sweet and good, it could just as easily been a dessert choice and often was. Many times, I tried to replicate their recipe at home, but it wasn't until 1997 that I received an original recipe from a friend for Piccadilly's famous Carrot Souffle. It is often Sunday dinner's dessert now, and many people think they are eating sweet potato souffle. It's a very easy recipe, and can be made a day ahead, then baked on Sunday morning. Good warm or at room temperature. With that much butter in it, we don't care for it cold.

• 1 3/4 lbs. carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • Ad
  • 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 3 eggs, well-beaten
  • 1 stick butter (room temperature)
  • powdered sugar (to sprinkle on top of baked souffle)

Directions:

Steam or boil carrots. Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl. While carrots are still warm, add sugar, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat with mixer until smooth.

Blend in flour and mix well; add beaten eggs and beat. Add butter and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into a 2-quart lightly buttered baking dish or pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until top is a nice golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm and reheat leftovers for the most flavor.

Servings: 6-8
Time:About 30 Minutes Preparation Time
All together, 1 1/2 Hours Cooking Time

Source: Originally, the recipe came from Piccadilly's Cafeterias, I'm sure, but my friend Grace sent it to me in 1997. Gracie, who was as happy in a kitchen as I am, also loved to eat out. I'm not sure if the recipe was given to her by someone at the cafeteria, or if it came out in a cookbook. The kitchen was where you'd usually find us when we got together. I love and miss you Gracie.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

I'm going to make you jealous here, we still have them in Houston. :) It's one place where my ex, who hated vegetables, would go and actually eat veggies, if they were carrot souffle. Not the healthiest, but still has carrots, and fiber, and is delicious. A wonderful surprise especially for a holiday dinner, or any time!

Piccadilly Carrot Souffle

2 lb. carrots (about 8 med-large) peeled, and cut into chunks

1 cup sugar

1-1/2 tsp. baking powder

1-1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/3 cup flour

4 eggs

1/2 cup butter, melted

Cook the carrots until tender; drain and mash. In large mixing bowl, combine mashed carrots, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and flour. Beat for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat, slowly adding melted butter. Pour mixture into a greased 1-1/2 quart baking dish or 9 square pan. Bake at 325F about an hour, or until set in the centre. Note: if your oven runs hot, reduce the temperature a bit to avoid scorching the bottom.

To serve,lightly dust the top with powdered sugar.

Thanks to Pegger for sharing this recipe.

Another version, and Georgia, or parts thereof, still have Picadillys.

Carrot Souffle in glass dish with sticks of cinnamon beside it.
Piccadilly's Carrot Soufflé Recipe
Food and Recipes Recipes CopycatOctober 5, 2010
Egg and Cheese Souffle
Egg Souffle Recipes
Carrot Souffle
Carrot Souffle Recipes
Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Carrot Costume
🎉
🎄