Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cooking Freezer Burned Meat

Freezer burn does not make food unsafe, merely dry in spots. It appears as grayish-brown leathery spots and is caused by air reaching the surface of the food. Simply cut these portions away either before or after cooking.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Cell08/29/2011

It safe no problem.

By Cell08/29/2011

Don't do it.

By Hankll04/24/2011

I ran across a method using Cool Whip topping to slather on frozen freezer burned meat. I have only tried this on some Rib Eye and T Bone steaks. With such high dollar meat, I really didn't want to throw them out. I placed the steaks on a spread layer of the Cool Whip on a tray. I slathered more all over the top and sides. No meat was showing through the Cool Whip. I left it to defrost, for several hours at room temperature. I have also done this by placing the meat into the refrigerator. Results were surprising. I could not detect freezer burn at all. My wife, who will not eat anything freezer burned(I've tried using it in a stew), to her credit tried the steak, and couldn't detect the bad freezer burn flavor. It was gone. We both enjoyed the steaks. The only drawback is if you are used to using a flavored marinade, you won't be able to using this method. We usually only put pepper on ours anyways. Try this on your freezer burned steak. The information I saw on this said it was something to do with the non dairy aspect of Cool Whip. I don't have an explanation, but now I always buy Cool whip for just such emergencies., not just for desert.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.