Split Pea Vegetable Soup

This is not just green split pea soup, but a combination of a few other vegetables as well which makes it even more delicious and nutritious.

• 1 12oz Pkg dried Green Split Peas
  • 3-5 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped)
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • 2 ribs celery, including celery leaves (chopped)
  • 2 carrots (chopped)
  • 1 cup (or more) finely chopped cooked smoked ham (or a ham bone)
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • Salt to taste after soup is done.

Pick over split peas and wash thoroughly. Peel and chop potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Chop ham (or use a cooked ham bone) and add everything to a large pot along with 10-12 cups water. Add sugar, garlic and black pepper and any other seasonings that you might enjoy like dried parsley.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.

Allow to simmer, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until all the vegetables are tender. (This will take about an hour or slightly more for the peas to cook). Remove from heat and with a potato masher, mash up all the solid bits as much as possible. It need not be as smooth as most green pea soups, but it should be nice and thick.

Salt can now be added sparingly.

I never add salt to any dried beans or peas until they are done as it hinders the tendering of them. The little bit of sugar aids in tendering. This is true of all dried beans and peas.

This is a rich and very hearty soup and is especially good for an evening meal when you need comfort food. I serve it with a thick slice of crusty homemade bread and butter. Very filling.

Servings: 12
Time:35-40 Minutes Preparation Time
1 + Hours Cooking Time

Source: Trial and error (sometimes are the best teachers).

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

This sounds so good! I've been cooking a variety of soups to freeze in individual containers lately so I can just thaw and reheat in the microwave during the summer to keep the kitchen more cool ;-) This is probably a dumb question, and I do want to make this as one of those varieties to freeze, but before I make it I am wondering if it's necessary to mash the peas? Will not mashing them change the flavor too much?

Hi Deeli, I don't think leaving the peas in whatever condition they end up after cooking will change the flavor at

all, only the texture. Since I'm mashing the potatoes and carrots anyway, the peas just get mashed at the same time. I do believe that traditional split pea soup is fairly smooth though, and that's the only way I've ever eaten it. You're

a wonderful cook as I can tell by your submissions, so your ideas are going to have as much merit as anyone's. Try it your way, then let us know what you think. All the best, Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Hi Pookarina Julia :-)

I have the recipe printed out and I'll most likely be making it on Monday or Tuesday :-) Am going to cook it in two different pots (half/half of recipe ingredients) and mash one and not the other and will let you know the outcome ;-)

Thank you! Deeli :-)

Our grandmum always made this type of soup in the winter time. It was so good, it was like a warm hug from her. I don't know what all she put in hers, but this sounds close. Thanks for the recipe.

We have always just eaten plain Green Split Pea

Soup, but this sounds like a nice way to make

it into a lot more. Friends who enjoy our soup

parties in the winter will love it. I'm going to

make a nice southern cornbread to go with it.

Thanks for the recipe.

Hi again Pookarina Julia ;-)

I wasn't feeling really great last week (when I was originally planning on making this recipe) but finally got a chance to make your soup today and it is yummy, yummy! :-) I added a couple of pinches of sage to it as my chosen spice :-)

Oh, and I need not have wondered about mashing it once cooked because it was pretty close to mashed anyway once done between the peas and taters ;-) Well, it just meant I had an extra pot to wash from the experiment ;-) LOL!

Thank you again for the recipe :-)

Deeli :-)

Split Pea Soup in White Bowl
Split Pea Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableApril 27, 2010
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
murky pond water
Keeping Pond Water Clear
finished flower
Sweet Pea Crocheted Flower