Cleaning Featherbeds

How do you clean featherbeds? Can you wash them in the washing machine like you can a down comforter?

If you take them to a laundromat and use the extra large extracting machine it will do the job. I find that clean tennis shoes (4) thrown in as well will fluff up the feathers and it dries in no time.

I recently bought a non-allergenic feather bed from Target on sale. Love it!

It said not to wash it. If you have a stain on the feather bed, dab the spot to clean. I forgot all the details ... just don't wash it!

I had to wash my featherbed recently. While the tag said "dry clean only," I took a risk and "hand" washed it in my bathtub. (That was a sight, let me tell you. Think "Lucy in the grape vat making wine.") If it didn't work, I would've had to buy another anyway. It washed fine, but was very heavy when wet. It was helpful having another person to move it initially. Took forEVER to dry, though. I used the low setting on 35 minutes and took it out and fluffed it between drying sessions (probably about 8 or 9) to evenly distribute the feathers. Worked, though. It's back on my bed, good as new.

Cleaning a Featherbed
Cleaning a Featherbed
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsMay 12, 2004
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning eyeglasses with a cloth.
Cleaning Eyeglasses