Browsing: Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

Which one works better, generic versus store brand bleach?

By Ama from Worcester, MA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Your just paying for the name, to save yourself some money buy the generic brands.

I've tried a lot of different brands, but I always go back to Clorox. To my way of thinking it seems to do a better job.

I am perfectly happy with store brands or generic. They seem to be the same.

The only difference is the bottle. Clorox claims to have a spill proof bottle. For the difference in price, I prefer to just be more careful pouring out of the generic bottle!

I buy generic also for just plain chlorine.

The bleach ingredient in bleach is a 5-6 per cent solution of sodium hypochlorite. I've read labels and all seem to be around that percent. Perfumes and water, possibly something else are the remainder, but that's the bleaching agent. You can increase the effectiveness of bleach [I've read] by adding a few tablespoons of baking soda to wash water. I don't bleach all the time, but use baking soda or borax or both with hot water and recommended amount of detergent for that particular load.

I usually use less than recommended detergent measure for most loads. Hanging things in sunshine helps as well, but it's winter for most of us now, but sun is great bleach.

I have been using & diluting granular chlorine for over 30 years. I talked to a chemist many years ago & found out the dilution amount to use. Bleach is nothing more than watered down chlorine.

For 1 cup bleach, use the granular chlorine & measure out 1 tsp. into the wash tub as the water is filling. Let it completely fill & I use something long handled to make sure it's mixed, then load clothes & it works great.

I've never had a problem with this. I have even found some chlorine marked down from time to time.

The only thing you need to be careful with is to not get any moisture into the chlorine container. Sometimes the container gets old & needs to be replaced. So I'd use something like heavy duty plastic to put it in, if needed.

Clorox works a lot better than a generic brand.

March 4, 2010 Flag

I'm doing a science project for school and I need your help. Is generic bleach really not as good as name brand bleach? To give you a little background info I will be trying to remove these stains: tomato soup, black Sharpie, and mustard.

So if you've dealt with this dilemma please tell me the results you got. And if you have any ideas for a witty project name for it I'd love to hear them.

Greatly appreciated.
Ale from LA, CA

Answers:

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

I have found any type of bleach OK at soaking clothes to remove stains, how about a title like "Brain Strain Removing Stains" or " The Pain of Stains". (10/18/2006)

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

A name I would like to submit is "Blah, Blah, Bleach".

I have noticed that unless I am using the Clorox brand bleach my whites do not come out as white. I use the generic brands for scrubbing floors and and other jobs around the house that don't require the real stuff. I have used the Clorox on a black mark on our tile floors and it worked perfectly. For me, using the Clorox on the mustard stain doesn't work as well unless I let the shirt soak overnight.

I wish you all the luck on your science project, and I am positive you will do well. My son is also doing a project here in GA. His is about engines. (10/18/2006)

By Jean in GA

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

In my humble opinion generic bleach is not as good at whitening clothing or removing stains as brand name bleach. Also, you need to use more of the generic bleach than name brand to get the same job done.
I have no knowledge of how the two compare as far as disinfection of materials washed is concerned. I believe them to be the same for that purpose.

Why don't you ask your mom for some rags or an old white sheet and do some experiments yourself? I think plain white cotton material would work best for this experiment. Perhaps white cotton undershirts would make a good test material. Just be sure to use the exact same material for each test.

Good luck. (10/18/2006)

By Carol in PA

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

Whether you use generic bleach or name brand bleach it is the same. Generic bleach and brand name bleach are one in the same. Some people are so caught up in brand names that they short change themselves. Ask your science teacher and you'll get the same answer. (10/18/2006)

By joesgirl

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

I am also doing a science project like yours and I found that 80% of the time brand name materials work way better than generic.

I hope I could help. (03/03/2008)

By Morgan

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

I am also doing a the same science fair project. I found that Clorox bleach and generic bleach have the same exact percent of ingredients. I'm glad that I could help. (05/11/2008)

By Haley

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

No bleach works as well as Clorox and that's all she wrote. (06/08/2008)

By CindyM56

clorox

I am doing the same project. I found that Clorox helped the most. Hope that helped. (01/13/2009)

By Kristen

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

I have found that both generic and Clorox bleach have the same ingredients in it. And it also comes out the same on clothes. (01/25/2009)

By Morgan

Generic Versus Name Brand Bleach

(submitted via email)

They don't have the same ingredients in the generic bleach. Clorox works better.

Emmanuel (02/04/2010)

By Sappie

Generic and Name Brand Tomato Sauce
Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand
Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsMarch 4, 2010
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:17:02 AM on 10.0.1.28 in 717 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.