Browsing: Cleaning a Dry Erase Board

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Dry Erase Board

Cleaning a white board can be difficult, especially if the ink has been on it a long time. Properly cleaning the surface will keep your dry erase board looking new and easy to read. This is a guide about cleaning a dry erase board.

A dry erase board and markers.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 18, 2016 Flag

My fiancé and I bought our daughter an easel for Christmas. It has a chalkboard on one side and a dry erase board on the other. As soon as my wonderful man put this awesome Christmas gift together I decided I was going to clean it so it would be nice and shiny when our daughter found it Christmas morning. I used Windex.

We bought the expensive Crayola dry erase markers for her board, but for some reason they refuse to erase unless I but a lot of weight on the rag or eraser. I've begun to just continuously use the Windex for the job. Is there anyway to make the makers erase properly or is it the markers? What should I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A very simple online search for "clean dry erase board" produced many good replies. You can try a search yourself and this very helpful site:

http://www.wikihow.com/Erase-Old-Marks-off-a-Dry-Erase-Board

October 21, 2010 Flag

For teachers, cleaning a whiteboard of all its remnants can be near impossible, but if you used WD-40, it will look new again!

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

October 24, 2011 Flag

I use fingernail polish remover to clean the dry erase board. Works like a charm, and gets all old ink off immediately.

By Rita H.

December 4, 2006 Flag

I cleaned my whiteboard with a Scotch pad and water and now the markers just sink in and won't erase. This cleaning procedure was demonstrated to me on another board and it worked well. What do I do to fix my board?

Hannah

Best Answer

To get Sharpie marker off of a whiteboard, color over it with an Expo marker and erase with a whiteboard eraser.

Best Answer

Scotch-brite is certainly safer than solvents such as WD-40, but it IS an abrasive, and it WILL take *something* off the whiteboard surface. Re-waxing your surface is probably a good idea. In the future, I suggest using a cleaning chemical with a low toxicity if it won't come off.

I have used many of the above techniques, including Windex, to clean my whiteboard. Eventually the whiteboard got so that any marking wouldn't wipe off easily. I was told that anything other than alcohol is too toxic to the board and abrades the waxy finish, so if you use stuff that makes it so the marker doesn't wipe off easily you should rewax the board! Then it should be like new again.

By the way, I now use hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol mixed with water, and it does WONDERS for getting the board clean!

March 24, 2015 Flag

My three year old scribbled all over my dry erase board. I was clueless and used plain water to clean it. Big mistake. The water marker smeared and it would not come off. I tried so many things, alcohol, hand sanitizer, acetone, etc. I gave up. Once again my three year old found a water marker. I wanted to pull my hair. I knew my mistake last time had been trying to clean it off with plain water. This time, I simply dabbed hand sanitizer on the scribbles and as the marker lifted, I cleaned with a paper towel. It worked. I cleaned the whole board and it worked. The problem last time was my cheap board absorbed some of the water and sealed in the color of the water marker.

March 18, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning permanent marker off a dry erase board. When a permanent felt marker is used on a whiteboard it can be a challenge to remove all the ink.

A whiteboard with scribbles all over it.

August 31, 2015 Flag

I check out some of the other email postings. I recently received an easel board from another family member - they had a lot of writing with grease markers on it, and they don't know how long it was on there.

January 8, 2014 Flag

I have an old whiteboard with difficult-to-remove markings. I grabbed my bottle of Jergen's hand lotion and applied a little to a rag. The board is now like new!

October 21, 2011 Flag

I simply use household cleaner spray (409 in my case). Everything comes off easily. A few spots might need a little scrubbing, but not much. And the board comes out sparkling white.

October 24, 2011 Flag

I always clean a dry erase board with alcohol.

October 13, 2004 Flag

Use toothpaste (the regular kind) and put some on a rag and scrub over the board where the ink is not coming off, then rinse, wipe with a clean cloth and dry.

By Lisa T.

OMG. Half of my board has been bad for over a year. Couldn't believe how easy it came clean.

Thank you! My son used an ink stamp on all of my boards. I tried a half-dozen things that didn't work - but toothpaste took it right off! It also took off the old discolored residue from years of use. My white boards look new again.

Toothpaste worked like a charm! My children's Crayola dry erase board was smeared with dry erase marker that had been sitting for months. Now it looks brand new, seriously :) Thank you!

October 25, 2011 Flag

I bought some Lysol wipes for my ladies' Sunday School class because we kept getting sick with colds. Aside from wiping down the table, chairs, and doorknobs, I found the alcohol content made it perfect for cleaning dry eraser marker writing from our dry erase board!

October 24, 2011 Flag

Liquid hand sanitizer works well to clean a dry erase board.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceOctober 19, 2011
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
birthday countdown tile
Making a Dry Erase Count Down Tile
Dry Erase Board
Reconditioning a Dry Erase Board
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:24:19 AM on 10.0.0.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.