Fix Your RV Fridge By Inverting It

We bought a used RV (propane) refrigerator which had stood unused for quite awhile. We couldn't get it to keep cold. When we were about to give up on it, a friend told us how to fix it. RV refrigerators use an ammonia coolant that has a kind of oil in it. After they are not used for awhile, the oil separates out. He helped my husband invert the refrigerator (stood it on its top) for 24 hours. Then they righted it, lit it, and within hours we had ice cubes in the freezer compartment! It saved us from buying a whole new fridge. He said it doesn't always work, but it's always worth a try.

By Coreen from Rupert, ID

Outstanding! Thank you! I just bought a 1977 trailer and I haven't tried the fridge yet, but now I at least have an option if it doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip. I did try inverting my fridge but only let it sit for a few hours. I will pull fridge tonight and try again this time for 24 hours. I will let you know how it goes.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorJune 26, 2007
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
Fixing Leaky Faucets
🎄