Store Parenting Essentials in a Separate Backpack

I'm a mom of four young kids and I'm constantly packing a ton of stuff with me. When I started feeling like a pack mule in the grocery store, I decided I needed to do something different. I put the bare minimums into a smaller, nicer purse that I'm not embarrassed to carry around in public, and then I got a small backpack for everything else. The backpack holds a small medical kit for emergencies, wipes, a small pack of shampoo, and other "emergency overnight" stuff, hairbrush, teething tablets and gel, flashlight, etc. You know, the stuff mama is expected to have in order to save the world.

The result? I can dash into the store without incurring a hernia, and yet still have everything I need on the front seat of the car in case I need it. Like the garage sale I was at when a couple slid their motorcycle around the corner and into the ground. I had my gear to patch up a little road rash. And my handsome leather bag doesn't bulge at the seams or leak crackers and pacis everywhere I go!

I run a small day care...I keep a small backpack such as yours and take it with me whenever we go out side...I have a suggestion for you...make copies of your kids medical numbers, allergies, other pertinent medical information, and a list of emergency numbers to keep in your never know when these may unfortunately come in handy!! I also keep a "pay-as-you-go" fully charged celphone in my pack!

Another good thing is that as kids get older they may imitate you! My daughter, all on her own, started her own "kit" when she was 13 and now not only does Mama not have to save the world, she can help her friends! She carries wipes, Band-aids, lip gloss, tissues, sanitary pads, a small hand towel, etc. in a small zippered packet in her school bag. She was elected "most likely to be a good mom" by her eighth grade class!

Good idea! I use a gardening bag I got from an Avon rep selling her samples; it is so cute, and I love all the pockets-so easy to find everything, but it's so worn out after three years of constant use. I've got a pattern to make one out of old jeans, the pattern packet came with a back pack pattern, too, so I'll have to think more about trying a back pack for the hands free aspect when I need to take it out of the car. Thanks!

Hey I love the idea I am alway carring around a big purse and for once I would love to not do it. I am 47 with a 5 year old autistic child so I sometimes need alout of things thanks abunch I will give it a try.

Sounds like a great idea, but think about keeping it in the car trunk before any pedestrian considers it to be a handbag and tries to break in.

Frugal Family With Girl Holding Piggy Bank
Frugal Parenting Tips and Tricks
Parenting General Parenting Getting OrganizedJune 19, 2008
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
A girl with a backpack on.
Organizing Your Backpack for School
A large family eating breakfast.
Parenting a Large Family
A girl with special needs.
Parenting a Special Needs Child